Marantz Receivers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Trevor Schell, Apr 14, 2002.

1. Trevor Schell

Trevor Schell Supporting Actor

Hi!,
    I was looking at adding a second receiver into a new room
    of the house.
    I was interested in something like the Marantz SR-8200.
    The THX Select specs would be suitable for the room size.
    Can anybody point me in the direction of some recent reveiws of this receiver as well as pricing.
    I had heard a rumor that the new Marantz line may have had some bugs in the early releases..Can anybody add some input into the facts of that.
    Thanks for any help.[​IMG]

2. Vishwa Somayaji

Vishwa Somayaji Stunt Coordinator

From all I heard and read, the x200 series from Marantz upto 7200 is better avoided for the time being. Apparently, 8200 is manufactured in a different manufacturing plant and the quality is good. Both 8200 and 9200 got some good user reports(not too many). However, they seeme to be a bit on the expensive side especially so here in Canada. In my personal comparison, I thought Onkyo 898 had more features for less money(street price). Of course, the remote on the Marantz is nicer.

3. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Listen to the receivers before buying.

4. chrisden

chrisden Agent

Trevor,

I've had the SR-8200 for about 3 months and am thrilled with it. It has excellent sound quality, plenty of power, and it is RS232 upgradable. I don't know if there's another receiver in this price range (about $1500) that can match this receiver's abilities, IMO. The remote is great also.

5. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

Trevor:
    First off, re: the problems in the x200 line. The majority of the problems ran only up to the 7200 - the 8200 and 9200 were not affected. In any event, all of the problems have since been corrected and the Canadian distributor has repaired all models in their inventory. Any new product direct from Marantz will have obviously taken care of all the problems. If you decide to buy one, make sure you get a new one sent from the distributor to your dealer.
    Now, as to the 8200 itself, I have taken it home and tested it and I must say it is mighty nice. Build quality is first rate (made in Japan, unlike the lower models in the x200 series). Its sound quality is stunning. It sounds very different from the other models in the range. It is extremely dynamic and is a very 'fun' amp to listen to. A coworker commented that it sounds a lot like Marantz used to way back in their heyday. It's been a long time since we've heard that old Marantz sound. [​IMG]
    Combined with the feature set and the RS232 port for upgrades, I'd say you have a more than competent product there.
    /Jeff

6. Rob_b

Rob_b Agent

chrisden,

I also have the 8200. Do you use your Sr-8200 for component video switching? I have to go through a goofy procedure to make it work.

Besides that its a great sounding receiver. I first traded in my 7000 for a 7200. I had some video issues and demoed the 8200. I have kept the 8200.

Thanks

7. Trevor Schell

Thanks for the info guys!..

Looks like the 8200 is definately worth looking into.

Jeff,,How much in Canadian funds would one have to pay.?

Rob,,What problems are you having with your component switching.?

8. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

Trevor;

Retail on the 8200 is $2800, if I recall correctly.

/Jeff

9. Trevor Schell

Thanks Jeff!.

10. chrisden

chrisden Agent

Rob,

I don't use the video switching on the 8200. I have my DVD player hooked to my tv. I love this receiver. I believe the retail on the 8200 is $1699.

11. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

12. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    He's Alive, he's Alive!!!!!! [​IMG]

13. Tom_Mack

Tom_Mack Stunt Coordinator

The 8200 is a great receiver, but does have a delay when picking up a digital signal. The delay can vary greatly from DVD player to DVD player. I returned the 8200 because these delays were so great. My Sony DVD player took about 2 seconds to get the signal and then lost the signal at the DVD layer change. The first words after the layer change were always missed. DTS cds had the first 1/2 second chopped off if you skipped to any track. Also, it is not possible to have two different sub settings if you like to have one for music and one for movies.

If these "flaws" don't bother you then the 8200 is a wonderful receiver!

14. Rob_b

Rob_b Agent

FYI - My delay when picking up a digital signal is about a 1/2 second. Not an issue for me.

Video switching problem with component - Problem occurs after entering setup menu. My video for the DVD will be lost. I have to do the following to restore video. (make sure OSD is disabled)

1) turn on Mutiroom.

2) turn off receiver.

3) turn off Mutiroom.

4) select DVD input when power is off.

System is fixed until I enter the setup menu again.

Very funky. I am currently in contact with Marantz about this issue.

Thanks

15. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Ah ha! I am waiting for a receiver or pre-pro that does not suffer from this flaw. The only one I have found is the NAD T751 and probably T761. My Marantz SR6200 cuts out and so does the Onkyo 797 (?). Can't recall onkyo model #.
    All you need are these two CD's for testing:
    All these tracks start with music at 0:00
    Depeche Mode The Single 86>98 (DISC #1)
    #1,3,4,5,7,8,10
    Power Windows - Rush
    #1,2,4,5,6,7,8 (Only track #3 doesn't start soon enough to make a good test)
    I asked Steve if he could test the 950 and report back [​IMG]

16. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

Chris:

The loss of audio at the beginning of tracks is not a receiver specific problem. It is a result of the combination of DVD player and receiver.

Some examples:

I believe it has been reported that there are no problems with Marantz receivers when used in tandem with Marantz DVD players (the DV-6200 specifically).

My own Marantz SR-8000 worked flawlessly (ie. no loss of signal) with my old Pioneer Elite DVD player. With my new Panasonic RP91, there is a slight clip.

Generally the NAD receivers are well behaved, however they too can suffer from a short dropout with the wrong DVD player.

It is just a matter of getting the combo right. Surely both sides are slightly to blame, but you put two bad offenders together and the problem seems worse.

/Jeff

17. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Oh yeah, thats true. Receivers are NOT the only ones at fault. I noticed that the Pioneer DVD players also caused dropouts on my Marantz SR6200 but I can't recall whether it caused dropouts on the NAD. While at the store, I checked this out further. The saleperson and I watched the TOSLINK cable from the Pioneer DVD changer during disc changes and sure enough, the light shining through the TOSLINK cable went out. The light went off and therefore there was no longer any signal coming through. With my meager 5 disc Panasonic CV51 :coo: the players TOSLINK kept pumping out a signal of some kind, as the TOSLINK showed light during disc changes. My player would still be cutoff with my Marantz SR6200, (I can't remember now if the Pioneer was cutoff with the NAD!), BUT my Panasonic CV51 DVD player wouldn't get cut off when used with the NAD. So in this respect, the NAD is superior in my view in not cutting off tracks. A good start anyways [​IMG] Yes, finding two of the better components and putting them together is the best idea.
    Every time I visit shops, I'll always carry my two "test CD's [​IMG]