Marantz receivers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EricHaas, Jan 11, 2002.

1. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

I have been researching receivers for about a month and know a lot about what features you can get at various price levels. I have focused a lot on Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha and a bit on Kenwood. But recently I started looking at Marantz. Their receivers seem to offer the best feature/price ratio out there besides the Kenwood models. The 6200 model is a 6 channel receiver with PLII and preouts on all channels for a street of about $485. And the Marantz units all seem to have high weight and good build quality.

My concern is I read reviews like at audioreview.com and everyone said the sound is great but people complain about a popping sound when the mute circuit is engaged, e.g. between tracks. How big a concern is this? Who out there owns one and would care to comment about it?

2. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

Best advice - take your favorite CDs and listen for about 20 minutes, without changing the source or volume. Then, after 20 minutes, change the volume or hit one of the input buttons. If there is no loud 'POP,' ask the salesperson if you can return it after a week, no questions asked (in case you find some other problem).

If that is OK, buy it. The sound in Source direct mode can't be beat.

3. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

Eric, I was in the same position as you are in right now about a month ago. I opted not to take the risk of buying a marantz receiver since all the people (Marantz PR people, Salesmen, dealers, people here in the forum) that i've talked to have different thoughts about it. The Marantz guy said that the problem has been totally taken care of but at the same time people here in the forum are still complaining about the dropout, pop, etc problems. I would have bought a 6200 but in the end, i settled for a denon 3802.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I have had my 6200 since the week they hit the market, and I am very happy with it. [​IMG] I do have the audio drop out mute-decode issue when using digital connections, so do many other brands of receivers. All of them will have idiosyncracies, so get the one that SOUNDS good to your ears.
    I chose Marantz because they are easily the best sounding 2ch integrated receivers out there. HT is an added benefit [​IMG]
    Denon is excellent for HT. I auditioned the 3802, and I didn't find it to sound any better at music for almost twice the price. For HT the 3802 definitely has the edge, but again, it costs a fair amount more for only a marginal improvement in performance.

5. Pete Jennings

Pete Jennings Second Unit

I agree with John. Marantz has taken a beating (deservedly so) about some of the problems the new line has had. I have a SR-8200, and it ain't going back, I wouldn't swap it for ANYTHING under $1700. I love the features/sound. Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer Elite, B&K, HK and ANY other manufacturer you can think of has had complaints on this and other sites. I make NO excuse for ANY problem a manufacturer allows off of the assembly line, but most people are prone to post when they have problems, NOT when they have a product that is humming along perfectly. I don't know what the average failure rate is on consumer electronics, but I'll venture it's much higher than 2-3%.

LISTEN YOURSELF, make sure the dealer will allow returns, and take it home. It really is worth the extra $$ to build a relationship with a local B&M who stands behind the products they sell. Not only are you pumping $ into your local economy, you are helping to ensure you have a local place to go to demo and get solid advice about your particular situation. Shops that do AV installs are especially great to get advice from.

My $.02

Pete

6. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

"I make NO excuse for ANY problem a manufacturer allows off of the assembly line, but most people are prone to post when they have problems, NOT when they have a product that is humming along perfectly. I don't know what the average failure rate is on consumer electronics, but I'll venture it's much higher than 2-3%."

Yeah, well I agree and disagree with this. Every tech component can have issues, be they design or manufacturing defects, and no product has a history totally free of customer complaints. OTOH, when I see 70% of the 100 people at Audioreview.com who own Marantz receivers downgrading the receiver because of one specific problem, and zero complaints of this magnitude about Denon, Onkyo or Yamaha receivers, that is a red flag to me.

"LISTEN YOURSELF, make sure the dealer will allow returns, and take it home. It really is worth the extra $$ to build a relationship with a local B&M who stands behind the products they sell. Not only are you pumping $ into your local economy, you are helping to ensure you have a local place to go to demo and get solid advice about your particular situation. Shops that do AV installs are especially great to get advice from."

Boy I couldn't agree more. Too bad I just don't have the cashola to practice this. My method is to go to the B&M stores and demo the product, then go buy them for hundreds of dollars less online. I have strict budgetary limitations but I still want a good system. So I have to make tradeoffs. But I do see the advantages to buying from B&M sources.

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Even more important than pumping cash into your local B&M is having rapport with them, even if it is only one salesperson. I have consistently gotten deals as good as online just by being a good customer. I like to keep the local stores that treat me well in business.