Marantz Receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DarrylR, Dec 26, 2002.

1. DarrylR

DarrylR Auditioning

Im a newbie so I went to a HT installer to get recommendations on room setup and equipment. The installer only recommends what they sell so I realize they are a bit biased.

I'd appreciate any comments on their receiver recommendation. I've listed the speakers since it's probably relevant from a matching standpoint.

Marantz SR 7300 (105 x6W AC-3 6.1EX) receiver
    JAMO E800 series speakers and subwoofer
    The receiver runs about $900 and a 6 speakers about $2300.
    Can I get more for less?

I will be using this in a dedicated home theater in my basement.
    Any thoughts?

Thank you

2. PeterCB

PeterCB Agent

Darryl, I just picked up a Marantz SR7300 a few weeks ago after several months of research, and am very happy with it so far. I was also considering the Denon 3803 and the HK 525. I chose the Marantz primarily based on performance with music (IMO a "warmer" sound than the Denon) and perceived build quality (HK runs very hot, even at low volume, has a plastic front panel, uses budget heat sinks). The others may have more features than the 7300, but none that were critical to me.

I use Defintive Technology speakers (BP2006TL fronts, 2300 C/L/R center, and BP2X surrounds), which I am also very happy with. They are in your price range, and I think worth your while to audition.

By the way, you should not have to pay more than $800 for the Marantz from an authorized dealer.

Good Luck!

3. DarrylR

DarrylR Auditioning

Thanks Peter,

I will definitely check out the Definitive Technology speakers. Do you have a seperate subwoofer or are they built into all Def.Tech speakers. I have auditioned Definitive Tech speakers before but they were on the very high end and had a built in sub. They blew me away. Very nice.

Your input regarding the receiver is very helpful. I was thinking about the HK 525 because of all the deals I've been reading about but it sounds like the Marantz is worth the few extra bills.

4. Douglas J

Douglas J Auditioning

DarrylR,

I am in the same exact situation as you are. I am trying to decide on the HK525 or the 7300. I currently have a older Marantz receiver and its been a real headache for me. Because of this, I am leaning towards the HK. If you decide on the HK dont pay a penny over $700. I also like the bass adjustability on the HK. I havent heard the 7300.........yet.

I am using JMlabs Chorus speakers which fall around $2200 without the powered sub. They are incredible. 725,707, & CC700. My sub is a Velodyne SPL1000. My theater is a custom built one with a raised floor in the basement. It is 12' X 18'.

5. PeterCB

PeterCB Agent

Darryl,

The Def Tech 2006's and 2003 have an 8" powered sub built in. The 2003's each have a 250 watt amp, and the 2003 has a 150 watt amp. I like it better than a separate sub, especially for music. The bass just seems tighter. Also,it really brings out the center channel (you can finally set your center channel to "large"). You don't have to worry about where to put the sub, and you don't have to worry about setting a cross-over frequency, since this is handled in the speakers. No other speakers that I listened to in this price range (e.g., Klipsch, JBL, NHT)sounded as good to me.

Let us know what you finally decide.

6. Steve_Corrick

Steve_Corrick Stunt Coordinator

You might check out http://www.acousticsounddesign.com
    You can get the SR-7300 for 699.00 and Jamo E8 series speakers 2 pairs of E-800 for 638.00 / Jamo E8 Center for 199.00 / Jamo E8 subwoofer for 459.00
    About 1200.00 lower than the installer is quoting you for all of these items.
    ASD carries quite a few diferent brands of speakers including the higher line Jamo, If you want some more options. Very positive feedback on sites where customers post dealer reviews. I purchased my SR-7300 and a pair of Polk Lsi-9's through these guys.
    If you call them and discuss what you are palnning on buying they may give you free or reduced shipping. They actually answer e-mail very promptly and answer the phones.

7. Yury.A

Yury.A Auditioning

Peter and Steve,

I am making my first HT purchases and I'm also considering the same set of receivers:
    -H/K 325/525: (great features, poor reliability???)
    -Denon 3802/3803: (3802 has only 27MHz component video bandwidth)
    -Marantz SR-7300: (lowest in line with component video switching)

I want to ensure good HDTV performance, if I choose to run it through the receiver, but the component video bandwidth is not advertised anywhere. Was there any info included with the SR-7300?

Also, due to significant size restrictions on the speakers (I'm forced to place the fronts and center on top of a 36" Wega XBR), I'm considering the ProCinema 100 package from Definitive Tech. Would anyone consider these a mismatch for the above receivers for 60% HT and 40% audio usage?.... with an eventual upgrade for the fronts and moving the ProMonitor 100 fronts to rear-surround speakers. Would this make sense?

8. PeterCB

PeterCB Agent

Yury,

I couldn't find the component video bandwidth for the SR-7300 anywhere either. I assume it's adequate for HDTV, but this was not a factor for me because I was not planning on running video through the receiver. I haven't been able to test this assumption yet, since I just got an HDTV, and don't even have component video cables yet.

By the way, the Marantz (and I don't think either of the other receivers) will output the OSD via component video, so you will need an S or composite video connection too.

I don't have any experience with the ProCinema 100 package, so I can't help you there. But since I see you are in NJ, be sure to check out 6th Ave Electronics. They can give you pretty good deals on HK, Denon, and Def Tech (just not Marantz).

9. Yury.A

Yury.A Auditioning

Update on bandwidth questions...
    I called Marantz Tech support. After a half-day of them researching I got a call-back with the following:
    -7300 "they do not know the bandwidth, but it should handle HDTV signals well..." [​IMG] "they will continue to research"
    -8200 and 9200(?) have a 40MHz bandwidth.