Marantz receiver issues

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by AjayRAV, Feb 14, 2004.

1. AjayRAV

AjayRAV Stunt Coordinator

Hi all,

My set-up comprises a Marantz SR6200 receiver, a VC5200 DVD player, 4000OSE CD player, Ascend CBM170s (main), CMT340 center, Adire Audio RAVA sub. I had initially connected the sub to the sub-out of the receiver AND Dolby Digital sounded fine as did 2-channel music. What I wasn't prepared for was how MUCH better music sounded in Source Direct. Activating the bass-management and tone circuitry dramatically altered the sound- it was lifeless in comparison, witha lot less clarity and air. Others on this forum have attested to this. Since my main speakers are hardly full-range, I connected my sub to the L/R pre-outs of the receiver and everything sounds great. However, I suspect that I am missing out on the .1 sub signal in multi-channel, since the Source Direct default is sub 'on'. My question is this- is this a problem with my receiver or is this a common problem with Marantz X200 receivers? Do the newer ones have this issue as well? If I do upgrade, I would like to stick with Marantz, since I love their 2-channel sound!!
    Thanks,
    Ajay

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Ajay, yes in source direct without a sub on the sub pre out, you will be missing the .1.

I recommend you put the sub on the sub out. This is how I have my setup. In s-direct 2-channel, use the crossover on the sub, as full range gets sent out of the sub out. When you watch 5.1 stuff, then you should turn up/disable the sub crossover to get all the .1 stuff as well.

I hope that makes sense. The point is that you can get the same effect as you have now with your sub hooked up to the sub out, instead of the L/R preouts. The sub out should be active full range with 2-channel in s-direct.

I have a 5300, btw.

3. AjayRAV

AjayRAV Stunt Coordinator

Aaah Chris, I remember you from one of my previous threads.
    You are one of the lucky ones in having a Marantz receiver where you get a sub output with SD engaged using 2 channel music (CD). My 6200 does not and others with this model (and higher in the X200 chain) have reported the same. This is why I have to use the L/R outputs. The .1 signal I lose is a sacrifice I will put up with for good sound, since I listen to music (2 channel) 90% of the time. It is appalling how much worse non-SD is on my receiver!!

Ajay

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Hmm, that's a bummer. I think i recall that thread as well.

The thing is, moving your sub off the main outputs to the sub out, you'd still lose a lot of bass that's being output there if your speakers don't go that low. But what about adding a simple radioshack audio switcher. You could connect both outputs to it, then switch between them depending on if you are listening to 2-channel or 5.1.

I haven't really listened critically to s-direct versus stereo on my 5300 actually. Perhaps I should do a comparison. I only kick it into stereo if I want to shake the walls without threatening my speakers (i have small dyns), in which case I'm not really doing critical listening.

I'm also assuming that like mine, yours forces sub to "on" in s-direct, correct? It would be handy in a situation like yours if it could fold just the .1 into the mains, and this wouldn't require any BM processing or conversion, but alas, I don't think you can unless you have the prein/out loops in some of the higher end models.

I'll bet the switcher idea might work though. Basically would accomplish the same thing as you changing the hookup of the sub everytime, without having to unplug things every time. I think this makes sense...or I hope it does anyway. [​IMG]

5. ChrisDixon

ChrisDixon Second Unit

Sorry for the late response, but I'm catching up. You do have other options. You can set your main speakers to Large and connect the left/right pre-outs to the sub. All bass (including the .1 data) will go to both the mains and the sub. Your main speakers will roll off the low end, so you need to adjust the cross-over on the sub to about the same frequency. When I listened to music on my SR-7000, I had my mains set to large and my sub set to cross-over at 50Hz. Basically, the sub picks up the lowest frequencies and the mains do the rest. And yes, analog source direct is MUCH better on some Marantz models if you have a good CD player. I have found that the dual differential DACs on my 8200 sound a little better than analog direct, so I no longer use this method.

Chris

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

I've come to the same conclusion with my 8300.