Marantz RC5200SR remote troubles

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jagan Seshadri, Nov 25, 2001.

1. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

Have any fellow SR-5200 owners (or x200 owners in general) noticed that the RC5200SR remote control doesn't always work? I've noticed that when it doesn't work properly, the LED indicator on the remote's top right corner just blinks once when a button is held down, instead of remaining illuminated as long as the button is held.
    Eventually the remote can be coerced into working, by pressing other source-select buttons. Seems to be an error in the remote's logic chips.
    Look at what money can buy...[​IMG]
    -JNS

2. Jagan Seshadri

I guess I am the only one with a bad remote. Either that, or there are no more people who still own Marantz x200 units...

If only the Yamaha RX-V1200 was a little less expensive, I'd switch to that.

-JNS

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I don't have problems with my RC6200SR because I stopped using it within days. It's a POS. IMO, the 1200 isn't that much better. I opted for an RC2000 mkII. No problems. The best part is, you now have a good excuse to get a good remote.

4. Jagan Seshadri

It just seems wrong to spend good money and get POS's in return. I mean, really, at least the factory remote should work regardless of whether or not better aftermarket remotes exist.
    Makes one wonder how cartel-like the A/V manufacturers' world really is. [​IMG]
    -JNS

5. John Garcia

John
    Yes it is sad that the included remote is so poor. I was very disappointed with the remote when I opened up the 6200, which is why I went and picked up the other one. I'm not ready for a Pronto - seems like overkill to me. No, you shouldn't have to spend more money to get what you want, and for the price, a decent remote should have been included.

6. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

I hated the RC6200 remote - I coudn't operate it by feel (save for the volume buttons) and it is too wide and clunky for comfortable use. I bought an RC1200 which I like - it addresses all the shortcomings of the 6200, plus it does macros. It isn't perfect (I wish it had just a couple more hard buttons for common DVD commands, for example) but it controls every component I have with no problems.

7. John Garcia

John
    I didn't like the scroll feature on the 1200, and the lack of backlighting (if it has it, I couldn't figure out how to get it to work at the store). Other than that, it is a good remote. The only drawback to the RC2000 is the fact that it comes with the codes for the previous generation of receivers, so it is lacking any of the 6.1 functions as well as DTS. Not a big deal though, since it has assignable function buttons. Macros also, but I only have one or two.

8. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

The RC1200 LCD screen lights up every time you press a key, plus there is a separate "light" button on the side. The RC1200 "derivative" that ships with the SR-7200 (and earlier SR-7000) does not have this backlight.

I don't mind the scroll feature - it is for lesser-used features, and the remote "remembers" where the scroll cursor was last, so it is usually on the most-used command for each component anyway. That said, if there were only TWO MORE hard buttons on the remote it would be darn near perfect for me.

9. John Garcia

John
    The remote I was looking at was from a floor model 7200, though they also had on in the box that I took out and looked at. It did not have the "light" button, that I could see. If it had, I would probably have bought it instead.

The 2000 also has the light button on the side, as well as the ability to program the duration the light stays on after a button is pressed, as well as audio confirmation of button press with volume. The main LCD screen has multiple assignable buttons that can be named manually on the LCD, and the functions have multiple pages for each device. I had some left over store credit from some upgrades/returns at my dealer, so I didn't cough up too much more for the 2000.