Marantz RC3200 remote programming

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DavidVTHokie, Jan 8, 2003.

1. DavidVTHokie

DavidVTHokie Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone taken the time to hook the remote to the PC and do the programming that way? (The remote has a RS232 port and cable) If you have, what did you think? How configurable is it? Do anything interesting with it?

2. Mikey B

Mikey B Stunt Coordinator

I've done some programming. It takes some getting used to, but it is very advantageous to learn it. Macro capability is as good as the Pronto style remotes. I like the remote a lot...actually, I like it more than the original Pronto and Marantz R5000.

3. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

Maikey, can you explain the stages of setting up a macro...say for a dvd..how do youi go about doing it. My email is [email protected] I have all my components setup with it(tv, dvd, zenith stb, etc...just don't know how to setup a macro...thanks much! tom

4. Mikey B

Mikey B Stunt Coordinator

You can do macros pretty effectively with or without the software. With the software, it is easier to create and edit the macros. Also, as a suggestion, you can create a Start page of all macro buttons and assign the "S" hard button to that page you created. Meaning you assign a "jump" to that start page when you click the "S" hard button. You have to make this assignment on every device though. The default home page (or device overview) is not programmable, so don't let that confuse you. There is a way to assign a different home page, but you have to use a tool called "NEO Hacker". It's available at remotecentral.com. Much more help is available there too.

To create a macro using the software:
    Select a button (one on the "Start" page or any other page)
    Double click that button to view its properties
    Click "Create Link" button (on the Actions tab)
    Then navigate to the device page that has the button you want performed (eg. PWR ON for the TV)
    That action will be placed in view in the "normal actions" window
    Then continue doing the same process to add other actions for powering on other equipment, and/or selecting inputs on the TV and receiver or processor. You should separate each action with a delay. You will have to experiment with how long each delay should be. Delays between actions should be .1 to about .3 seconds usually, but actions following the power on of a receiver or TV may require delays of several seconds (because the receiver or TV does not accept any remote functions while it is initially turning on or warming up).
    The last step in the Actions list should be a Jump to specified device (DVD for example).

Setup a single macro that does something very easy with just one step or action (such as powering on the DVD player). Then download your configuration to the remote and test it out. Then gradually make it more complicated. It won't take too long to become pretty handy with the software.

Word of caution: before downloading anything to your remote, be sure to upload your current configuration to the computer and save it to the hard drive. Then make any modifications to it and save it as a different name.

Read the manual and download the software from either Marantz.com or remotecentral.com. Visit the forum on Remotecentral called "ProntoNEO and RC3200". It can be most helpful. You can even download other users configurations and run them on the emulator of the software to get ideas of how to organize your layout.

Hope this helps. Best way to learn is just jump in and experiment.