Marantz rc-1200 Universal Remote, Any good??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Ball, Sep 15, 2001.

1. Chris Ball

Chris Ball Auditioning

I recently purchased at Marantz SR-6200 receiver. I am very very happy with it. The one exception is the remote. I hate it. I was over at my dealer and they had the
    rc-1200. I was just wondering is it worth getting? Anyone else using this remote?
    Any opinions would be great.
    Thanks
    Chris

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The 1200 is decent, but I went with an RC2000 instead. The 2000 is from the previous generation, but the majority of codes for the receiver already worked - only DTS and newer 6.1 functions needed to be programmed, and it is just as simple to program as the one that came with the 6200.
    The 2000 is quite large, but not uncomfortable to operate with one hand. It has a much larger LCD display than the 1200, with 8 user defined funtions (on top of normal function buttons) that each have 4 pages you can cycle through.
    The thing I didn't like about the 1200 was having to cycle through functions with the dial to find some basic functions like fast forward and rewind for the CD, since there are a limited number of funtion buttons on the remote itself.
    The deciding factors for me were backlighting and macro capability, for only $50 more. AFAIK, I don't think the 1200 is backlit.
    You can see them both on Marantz' website.
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
    to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)
    [Edited last by John Garcia on September 15, 2001 at 02:37 PM]

3. Brian Schucher

Brian Schucher Supporting Actor

I have been using the original RC2000 for a few years now. When i bought my new SR70000 it came with its version of the 1200. I didnt use it at all. I just this past week bought the HTM MX500 remote and can say i truly love this remote for the price.. Look into it. Ill be retieing my RC2000 now. Imknow the MKII version of the RC2000 is better than the original but it cost more than the MX500 and doesnt seem to be any better

4. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I am trying to get away with the sr 6200's remote.
    Is the 1200 backlit?
    What is the HTM MX 500? Who makes that? Where could I find it.

5. Brian Schucher

Brian Schucher Supporting Actor

Check out www.remotecentral.com you will find tons of info there. Go to the Home Theater Master reviews

6. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I don't like the RC-1200. There are no buttons on the thing. All I would need is a backlit remote. If the marantz SR 6200's remote was backlit it would be fine with me. I can memorize button placements pretty easily. I can already press most of the buttons in the dark anyways. Play, stop, pause, ff,rewind, ftrack,rtrack, volume, channel, my disc selections, cd, dvd, ld, tv etc. All I would want is a backlit SR 6200 remote. What a ripoff. Marantz just wants me to buy their aftermarket remotes. I have a lightup backlit radioshack remote for TV and VCR in another room and its $34.95. Its all a scam. I don't like the RC-1200 but the RC2000 is too expensive. You can buy a receiver for the price of the remote!

7. Tom Morgan

Tom Morgan Stunt Coordinator

The RC-1200 came with my SR-7200. It is not backlit. I does work pretty good if you can handle the roller switch. The learning works pretty good. I have a Radio Shack 15-1994 that is hackable. It is backlit. I just started doing some button moving around and made aux2 mapped to the vcr button so it would accept a dvd there. I also made the TV punch thru for the volume work for my reciever.
    http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/index.shtml
    Tom&Amy's DVD's

8. Anthony Lobo

Anthony Lobo Agent

Hi Chris,
    I just came back from the CEDIA show.
    Marantz released 3 new remotes:
    RC3200, RC5200, and RC9200.
    My advice would be to wait until they come out since there have been some significant changes made to them.
    Mostly more hard buttons, and nicer ergonomics.
    Anthony

9. GregoriusM

GregoriusM Second Unit

For a review of the Home Logic UR 362 (RC-1200 with slightly different button arrangement) along with the differences the RC1200 has (on RemoteCentral), go here.
    For a review of the Home Theater Master MX-500, which is miles better than the Marantz RC-1200 and the RC-2000MK2 (on RemoteCentral), go here.
    For the Home Theater Master Chat Forum on Remote Central, go here.
    Best bet - HTM MX-500!
    ... Greg
    ------------------
    .... "just me up on my pony on my boat".
    [Edited last by GregoriusM on September 17, 2001 at 08:49 PM]
    [Edited last by GregoriusM on September 17, 2001 at 08:50 PM]