What's new

Marantz preamp and amp combo.... (1 Viewer)

Andre Barros

Stunt Coordinator
My father has just asked me to do some research on this topic for him. He wants to upgrade his set-up to a pre-amplified receiver/amplifier set-up. He is a big Marantz fan but currently owns a Onkyo receiver. He wants to use a pre and an amp of the same brand, so obviously the AV9000 and the MM9000 are the logical choices in the Marantz line. Does any one have any experience with this system, or any opinions on its overall performance? Is it the obvious choice or should he consider another receiver, one with an internal amp and simply use the pre outs? He will be sticking to 5.1 due to room size so 6.1 or 7.1 receivers are not a must unless there are other advantages to those in the Marantz line. Any thought?

Thaks in advance,

Andre

gregD

Second Unit
The AV9000 is a good performer, but it is a few years old. It does not feature the latest surround processing (eg DPL2), and its processing power has been superceded by more current models. If that's not a concern, it would make a fine pre-pro, especially since you're happy with 5.1 (as I am); but even then, retailers don't discount its price at all, despite the older technology.

You may want to consider one the newer, lower-powered receivers (5300, 6300, 7300) as a pre-pro to mate with the MM9000. Might be nice to have the latest processing, and even the extra channel(s) just in case.

You can do side-by-side feature comparisons at http://www.marantz.com/ but as always, direct auditioning is best.

Dean L

Stunt Coordinator
I love my Marantz AV9000.

Since I don't have space for a center rear channel, its not going anywhere.
I am still very happy w/its sound paired w/my Carver 705 amp (sorry, have no experiece w/the mm9000 amp) SUPEREB 2 channel sound for music in "direct mode"!
I have owned the unit for 3+ years.
Awesome reomote and a built in RF Mod for DD 5.1 (a rarity :emoji_thumbsup: ) laserdiscs.
Paid $1600 for a floor model.
Worth every penny for me.

The AV9000's do show up on eBay. I've seen auctions close for $600-$800, but if you go that route; be sure and check the sellers fdbk of course.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I love my AV9000 as well. While it is only 5.1 and does lack newer processing modes like DPLII, it's a very solid performer. Sounds wonderful, great usability, lots of features and solid build quality.

Last year I was stricken with a bad case of upgraditis and stacked it up side-by-side against an Outlaw 950 and a Rotel RSP-1066. All three were mated with a Sherbourn 5/1500A 200wpc amp. While there were things I really liked about the newer processors, in my opinion the Marantz beat them both in sound quality and usability. It's more refined, for lack of a better term. In comparison the Rotel and Outlaw offerings both struck me as products that had been rushed to market.

If I were in the market for an AV9000 I don't think I'd pay full list for a new unit. If you can find one for less than $900 though I wouldn't hesitate to jump on it.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Andre,

Though I can't vouch for the AV9000, I can for the name. I've been running a Marantz AV560U pre/pro for over a year now that I picked up New In Box for $400US off ebay. It offers everything I need in a DD/DTS setup.

Kevin

Andre Barros

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys! I think I'll go with the SR 6300 basically because we want the 100w amplified output of the zone B speakers to power two B&W WM6 we have by the pool. Who knows maybe one day he will use the 6th channel although I doubt it (that raises another question). In his HT room the couch is right up agaist the back wall (when reclined) and he has two Polk LSiFX running on DiPole mode on the side walls, in this case would a 6th channel make any sustantial difference? Is it worth trying to convince him? Also where would he place it? It seems that the sound of this speaker would go OVER the heads of people on the couch but I might be wrong. Thakns for the help and any coments or suggestions.

Regards,

Andre

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Andre, I know you've decided on the 6300, I just thought I'd send you this link..

http://accessories4less.com/aless4/C...cc=PREAMP&tpc=

They are factory authorized too.

It might be worth a look if you still have any interest in the 9000. It's too bad it isn't current as far as the new surround formats. I was interested in this peice awhile back so I called Marantz and asked them if they had any plans for an upgrade and they just kind of hemmed and hawed, but basically it was a no.

gregD

Second Unit

Be advised that accessories4less deals strictly in refurbished units, with lesser warranties, and no way to determine the nature of any specific re-furbish / re-build... just so you're clear on that.

That said, I did buy a re-furb Marantz receiver from them... I did have problems with it... but they were extremely helpful in resolving the problem.

There is an inherent risk in picking up a re-furb, but AC4L seems good if you want to go that route. It's entirely possible to get a good deal on that AV9000 - which has a better build quality than the lesser receivers - and experience no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread