Marantz + Paradigm

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by FeisalK, Dec 24, 2003.

1. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

does anyone have a Marantz and 'digm setup? I currently have a Yamaha receiver and 4xAtoms - the setup sounds great (to me at least! tho someone once wrote somewhere Yamaha's best paired with 'digms)

Anyhow, there's a great trade-in offer for a 5400, so I'm wondering if it's good with Paradigms, or should I sell the Yamaha on my own and get a 640

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Marantz is an excellent match for 'digms. I had a 6200 with both Performance and Monitor series, and they work very well together. I moved away from Paradigm, but stuck with Marantz.

3. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

John,

great thanks [​IMG] I can take advantage of this trade-in then!

f
    p.s merry christmas!

4. ChrisDixon

ChrisDixon Second Unit

I've stuck with both companies and have been very happy. My upgrade path over the last five years or so looks like this:

Nakamichi AV400 / Mini-Monitors / CC-350 / Atoms / PS1000
    Marantz SR7000 / Mini-Monitors / CC-350 / Atoms / PS1000
    Marantz SR7000 / Monitor 7 / CC-350 / Mini / PS1000
    Marantz SR7000 / Monitor 7 / CC-350 / Mini / SVS 16-46PC
    Marantz SR8200 / Monitor 7 / CC-350 / Mini / SVS 16-46PC
    Marantz SR8200 / Studio 60v2 / Studio CC / Mini / SVS 16-46PC

The only things I would have done differently:

No PS1000 sub - Too boomy for my musical taste. At the time, I didn't know to avoid bandpass subs and went for the package deal. Lucky for me, I won an SVS with the PCi driver in an online contest (which I chipped in a few bucks to make it the powered variety).

I also would have jump right to the studio series instead of getting the Monitor 7s. The difference is really worth it.

For what it's worth, I think the Nak AV400 and Paradigm Atoms were the best value of any of my equipment. I still use both of them in my computer room all these years later. The AV400 was virtually identical (exact same technical speicifications page) to the AV-2s (I think) which was much more expensive.

Chris

5. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

I'm very happy with the Atoms and quite a ways from the Studios, but am saving up for a SVS, so the trade in offer on the Marantz is looking very good

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I have a 5300 with mini-monitors and an SVS. I will be using that receiver in a 7.1 system with upgraded speakers, probably not digms though. Aywya, the 5300 and mini-monitors sound great!

7. Luis M

Luis M Second Unit

I have the Marantz 8200 and the Paradigms 100v3 and can't complaint, when you add the SVS plus powered by my old and trusty Adcom 555 II it all sounds pretty amazing.

8. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

I currently have 'digms with a Yamaha Receiver (RXV-1200) and my old Marantz (6200) sounded alot better IMO.

I had problems with my Marantz's (2 5200's and 2 6200's if I recall correctly) and my dealer offered to trade for the Yamaha for free. The Yammy hasn't had a single problem in almost two years now, but the Marantz still sounded better. I kind of regret that decision.

My problem should be cured though, as I will be receiving my new Audio Refinement Pre2DSP/Rotel 1075 combo within the week. Hooray!! [​IMG]

9. Scott_N

Scott_N Second Unit

I've had Paradigm speakers from both the monitor series and studio series with my Marantz SR-18 both with good results. The Paradigm's on the forward side and the Marantz on the warm side seem to create a nice balance for music and HT.

10. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

thanks for all the responses. ultimately the wallet spoke and we are going with a SR4400 [​IMG]