1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Marantz OSD menus disabled in Dolby Vision

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Editor_D, May 26, 2019.

1. Editor_D

Editor_D Auditioning

Devin Bousquet
    I have a Marantz SR6010 and recently updated to an LG 4K HDR B8 OLED 77" with Dolby Vision.
    Anytime I am in Dolby Vision mode, say with my Apple TV 4K, the on screen display menus from the receiver will not display on the TV. If I switch the mode back to something different such as HDR10, the OSD menus work perfectly fine.
    I can't even see the volume overlay when Dolby Vision is being sent through the receiver. I even tried another TV with Dolby Vision and had the same issue so it must be the receivers fault.
    Yes, the HDMI cables are rated for 4k Dolby Vision.

Marantz's support is pathetic and no help. Basically just telling me to turn it off and on again or try other cables. This is obviously a bug in the processing. I am on the latest firmware on all devices.
    Anyone else have this issue?

2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I have the same issue with my Denon X3300W receiver. Denon and Marantz are the same company, and their receivers share much of the same hardware and software. With my Denon, it's a documented limitation that is listed in the manual, so I imagine it's the same with your Marantz. Tech support should have been able to tell you that instead of making those silly recommendations.

Editor_D likes this.
  3. Editor_D

Editor_D Auditioning

Devin Bousquet
    I figured so. Thanks for clarifying. Any idea if newer modes don't have this issue?

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Sorry, I am not sure if Marantz / Denon fixed this with their newer models -- my X3300W is a 2016 model. Hopefully someone else here with a newer model will know the answer.

5. Message #5 of 6 Aug 10, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    pgreen001

pgreen001 Auditioning

Patrick
    https://marantz-uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4725/~/hdr-format-compatibility

I found the following at the link above.

Note that On Screen Display overlay is not possible when passing through Dolby Vision signals and may not be possible when passing through HDR10 or HLG signals.

Also. I own the Marantz SR6013 and it does not have this issue. I believe this is probably HDMI bandwidth issue as to how Marantz is doing its overlay. When I go into settings/general/information/HDMI info it actually shows dolby vision on the SR6013 but only 4k HDR on my SR7012.

6. pgreen001

pgreen001 Auditioning

Patrick
    Marantz SR 7012 Dolby Vision Issue

Response By Email (NJ Customer Support) (08/13/2019 03:19 PM)
    Hi Patrick,

The 7012 is working correctly. For that model year, the Engineering team decided the units would not output OSD info when passing through Dolby Vision content as it created issues with the color spacing of the OSD. They felt it was better to not have the OSD output during DV pass through rather than risking a distorted OSD screen.

For the following year's models (SR6013 and AV8805) they decided to include OSD output when passing DV, but also put this disclaimer in the manual. (Page 258 for the 6013's manual and page 298 for the 8805's manual)

The color of the menu screen and operations content displayed on the television is different.
    Performing operations on this unit during playback of a Dolby Vision signal may cause variance in the color display of the menu screen and operations content. This is a characteristic of the Dolby Vision signal and is not a malfunction.

Thanks,
    Marantz NA