What's new

Marantz Neo-6, CS-II? (1 Viewer)

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
I'm comparing these modes to DPL-II on my 7300 OSE. I've only had the 7300 for a few weeks (bought used) to replace my 6200 and haven't reached many conclusions yet. On the 6200 the differences between CS 5.1 and DPL-II were obvious, with CS giving greater separation. With the 7300 its a little more difficult. Does anyone have an opinion on what mode is best for given material (action vs. drama, etc.)?

DavidSGT

Stunt Coordinator
Hiya ChrisG,

I guess this is like many other questions that doesn't have a right or wrong answer just what sounds best to your ears, but for me I prefer plain stereo for music or choose between dpl2 or dts neo6 for 2.0 movies

Regards.
DavidSGT

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
PLII on the 7300 should be different from the basic version that was on the 6200. The 7300 should have the "full" version that allows you to adjust various aspects of PLII like how much blending there is to the center, etc... and going from the 6200 to the 8300 I found that I preferred the sound of CS previously. After making adjustments, I found that I liked PLII better with the 8300.

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
I checked out the adjustability of DPL-II, and apparently only the DPL-II Music setting has any customizable settings for centre width, etc.

Strange if your 8300 (from the same year) has more adjustability, but maybe that's what THX-Select or more $ gets you?

Anyway, I'm really enjoying the greater separation and dynamics the OSE has over the 6200. Even in stereo the imaging is improved. The wierd thing is there's no more bass in source direct stereo than the 6200 had... and perhaps even a bit less, which is inexplicable, given the heftier transformer! Would you have any ideas on this?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Interesting, I'll have to check the settings for PLII, because I'm pretty sure they affected my movie playback too - since that is the only time I use it; the occasional stereo DVD.

I think ChrisPC may have mentioned something similar with the bass and SD with the 7400. It could be that the 6200 had a different ouput voltage for the sub than the newer models.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks