Marantz MM9000

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by grantG, Mar 10, 2005.

1. grantG

grantG Agent

I have seen one used on the web indicating 170 watts per channel. Everything from Marantz says its 150 watts per channel. Is this a case of someone "pumping" up the wattage or are there different models out there??

Also, assuming its 150 watts, would that be a noticeble difference from say 125 watts or do you need to get up to 200 watts plus to notice a difference from 125 watts a channel?

Thanks.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    It's 150 at 8 Ohms.

Technically speaking, you would need 250w to get a significant increase in SPL with nothing else changing, but the reality is it depends on how "real" the 125w you have now is. A separate amp will typically outperform most receivers, since the amp is built to do just one thing.

I have a Marantz 8300 rated at 120wpc, and I use MA500 monoblocks rated at 125w. While the sound is basically unchanged, there was a noticable increase in detail and depth when I added the amps, as well as the fact that I can crank it louder without compression. At normal listening levels, it sounds about the same, but at elevated levels the difference is obvious.

3. grantG

grantG Agent

Thanks John, thats what I have been trying to decide if a 125w to 150w seperate amp would prove to be a benefit or not for HT usage.

Also trying to find a 200W 3 channel but not many out there.