Marantz MM9000 - will it sound as good as the Marantz 8200?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom_Mack, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Tom_Mack

Tom_Mack Stunt Coordinator

I am planning on replacing my Marantz SR8200 due to the digital source pauses and dropouts along with some other minor issues.

Although, I am a little dissapointed overall with the receiver, I do love the sound of the Maranatz and would like to keep that great sound. Will replacing the receiver with a Marantz MM-9000 5 channel amp sound just as good?

My old reveiver (yamaha v-596) did not have any dropouts, so using the marantz amp with my old receiver should give me the Marantz sound without the dropouts/pauses. correct?

I would at first be using my old yamaha V-596 as the preamp and (when released) I would consider the Outlaw 950 based on how the reviews are.

I would be new to seperates, so please let me know if my line of thought is correct!

Thanks!

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Tom while the amp is responsible for part of the sound a large part is due to the pre amp side so adding the Yammie as a pre amp will definately make the sound a lot brighter sounding then what you are getting from the 8200. If you wanted to maintain Marantz sound you'd be better of picking up a cheaper Marantz receiver or buy one of their cheaper pre amps (560 for example)

3. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

Marantz MM-9000 that's an awesome choice, I have it and love it!!

4. Tom_Mack

Tom_Mack Stunt Coordinator

Using the Yamaha as a preamp would be just temporary until I can afford a better preamp. Like I said, The Outlaw is looking good (when it is shipping). I'm hoping that adding the MM-9000 amp would improve the sound (whether it be a little or a lot) and adding a low to mid-priced preamp would complete the picture down the road. Unfortunately using any Marantz pieces for the processing would add the pause/drop outs that are annoying me!

5. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Tom you will definately benefit from using a real power amp vs those in the receiver so yes you will be better off in the long run, I mearly wanted to point out that the pre amp is going to affect the sound as well (maybe more so the then amp)

6. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Tom, why don't you look for a combo deal on a Marantz AV9000/MM9000. There are proably some closeout deals available? I don't have the MM9000. I already had amps when I got the AV9000 two and a half years ago. The AV9000 will make amps sound good IMO. I'll hate the day I upgrade from the 9000! It won't be soon. It's a bread and butter good sounding pre, and I love the RC-2000 style remote. Best wishes from the world's most satisfied Marantz owner!