Marantz MM9000 or Adcom GFA-7605 amp?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BaN, Jan 17, 2003.

1. BaN

BaN Extra

Hi,

I'm in the market for 5-channel amp for my home theater. My budget is under $1K so I'm looking at the 2 amps mentioned in the title. What do you recommend?

TIA,

BaN

2. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

I love Marantz (I have the AV9000) but thay missed the mark on the MM9000 amp, even if they didnt it would be a tuff choice, IMO the Adcom is the better amp. I have lost track of Adcoms numbering system, I assume the power rating is similar to the MM9000 if so pick the Adcom.
    It troubles me to speak ill of the MM9000 because I really wanted the AV9000 and MM9000 combo, but I use a Rotel 985THX mk2 110x5 that beats the Marantz, I have had them both hooked to the AV9000 in my room on my NHT Super Ones. . . .The rotel is better IMO. . . .

3. Dave Ma

Dave Ma Stunt Coordinator

If I were you I would get a ROtel RMB 1075 for about $850.00[​IMG] It is better then the two amps you listed. I would also check out Sherbourns. But i would go with the Rotel hands down[​IMG] www.rotel.com www.sherbourn.com

4. BaN

BaN Extra

My local dealer wouldn't sell me the Rotel RMB-1075 for less than $1K [​IMG]

5. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

Parasound HCA-855AT and HCA-1205AT are 2 other amps you should look at.

6. TomH

TomH Second Unit

Stay away from the MM9000. It specs more like a receiver amp section than separates.

7. Mike Butny

Mike Butny Stunt Coordinator

Check out Marantz mono blocks if you don't like the their 5 channel amplifier. I believe Marantz 5 channel amp has more power than the rotel that was recommended to you.

8. Daniel Mai

Daniel Mai Stunt Coordinator

Ban,
    You're not talking about Audio Video Today Westminster are you?
    I was there in Nov. and the salesman named Mark was more than happy to sell me one for 10% off ($900), but I didn't buy it since it's black and I wanted silver. I had to drive to Pasadena to get the RSP-1066 and RMB-1075 in silver from another dealer who also made me a decent deal.
    I sent you a PM about your RP82, but didn't get a response back, please email me at [email protected] about it or if you want more info about the Rotel stuff.

9. BaN

BaN Extra

Daniel,
    I did get your message and I'm sorry I didn't get back to you but the player has been sold.
    Yes, I was referring to AudioVideoToday. Rotel gear must be in demand now because the salesman, Dan, was very firm about the price: $1K for the 1075 and $1.5K for the 1066. I already bought a used Lexicon DC-1 as my processor so I'm just looking for 5-channel amp to complete my setup.
    Thanks,
    BaN

10. Daniel Mai

Daniel Mai Stunt Coordinator

Ban,
    Dan is a little tougher to deal with. I had to actually negotiate with him and it didn't go too far. Well, I accidentally came in on his days off (Wed. & Thu or Thur. & Fri.) and I just started to get into a conversation w/Mark and He said he would take 10% off. I didn't even have to ask. Anyway, I ended up at Sound Factor in Pasadena and they took care of me. Sound Factor actually has a lot of Rotel in stock, A/V today only have certain ones.

11. BaN

BaN Extra

Daniel,
    Pasadena is just a little to far for me to drive. Thanks for the info though.
    BaN