Marantz MM-9000 : any online reviews out there?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Drew Bethel, Mar 15, 2002.

1. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

A local hi-fi store has this amp on closeout for $699 and now I'm a little curious.

2. Leo

Leo Second Unit

3. Mike_T_

Mike_T_ Stunt Coordinator

It's hard to trust that sight anymore...It can be so easy for people that work for Marantz, or dealers to talk it up. Anyway, I can get a great deal on one of these amps as well, but from what I'm told 150wpc won't be enough for my paradigm studio 100's. If you get it, let me know what you think..what speakers are you driving??

4. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

Currently using the DB930 (which will eventually be used as the pre/pro). The mains are pinnacle classic gold towers which are very efficient @ 8 ohm/95db.

5. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Mike:

6. Leo

Leo Second Unit

Well I know you asked for reviews so maybe someone that actually owns this product can post their review of it. You can also try searching http://www.hometheaterspot.com or http://www.hometheatertalk.com to find other user reviews. Utimately the review should be your own ears. I would try finding a local hifi shop that does loaners so you can try this amp in your system. Then you can better determine what is right for you. Good luck in your search.
    Leo

7. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Second Unit

Mike_T_,

IMO, the MM-9000 will not be enough to realize the full potential of the Studio 100s. I had the MM-9000 at my house for a week driving Monitor 9s. I pushed the speakers to the point of painfully loud and managed to trigger the overload lights on the amp. Granted it was painfully loud. But extrapolating that to the Studio 100s it won't be painfully loud before you start clipping the amp. And this was only 2 channels driven! I'd get at least 200wpc for those Studio 100s. I like the sleek look of the MM-9000 and the auto-on with Marantz gear is a plus, but I don't think it would be enough juice for you.

8. Mike_T_

Mike_T_ Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, see I certainly won't be blasting the speakers...I'm mostly worried about damaging them with bass heavy tracks. I just wonder if it's worth spending $1700 or so for a good 200wpc x 5 compared to $700 for 150wpc x5.

9. TomH

TomH Second Unit

The MM-9000 specs more like a receiver than a true separates component. $699.00 is a common "sale" price, certainly nothing special. Check out the new Acurus A200X5's on UBid for only a bit more.

Tom