Marantz MA6100 or Parasound HCA855?!?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DanielKim, Mar 19, 2002.

1. DanielKim

DanielKim Stunt Coordinator

Well, after reading the forums for a while I have finally given in to the "Darkside". I am auctioning off my Yamaha HTR-5490 on eBay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1340052692.
    The reason behind this is that I don't believe that I am getting all that I can from my NHT SuperOne's from the Yamaha. Although it is rated at 100 watts at all 5 channels, I don't think it is doing them justice. So my plan, if all goes as planned, is to get an Onkyo 797 and use my tax refunds on either the Marantz MA6100 or Parasound HCA855. I know that the Parasound is spec'd at 85 WPC but I've read numerous times from y'all that it is ample in power and if so would be great at powering all 5 of my speakers. If I decide to go the monoblock route, I will be getting only 3 for now to power L,C,R due to lack of funds and will get rest later,
    What I want to know is:
    1) Will going with the the monoblock setup greatly improve the sound quality?
    2) Should I spend less on a 5 channel amp as opposed to 3 channel external amplification? I guess this would kinda point back to question 1.
    3) Where are some good places to get good deals on these? I've seen the Parasound for below $500 and the lowest i've seen the monoblocks was $219.
    Any insight will be greatly appreciated and duely rewarded with a heartly [​IMG]
    Dan

2. DanielKim

OY! Just read about the Sherwood Newcastle AM9080! Let's throw this one in the mix! Which of the three routes would y'all recommend to power 5 NHT SuperOne's?

Dan

3. Leo

Leo Second Unit

Daniel,

I'll chime in and give you my thoughts on the monoblocks. I have 5 of the Marantz MA-500 which were replaced by the current MA6100 and I love them. I'm currently using a Yamaha RX-V995 as the pre/pro (to be replaced soon with either Outlaw or Sherwood Newcastle pre/pro) and find that the monoblocks offer a good deal more than the internal amps. And they also offer me flexibility with upgrading and adding more channels.

If possible see if you have some local hifi shops that carries the amps you're interested and offer you a chance to demo them in your home.

You can always check here (HTF), eBay or Audiogon to see if anyone is selling any of the amps used. Also know that the MA-500's are available for between $125 and $175 used and offer 125 watts into 8ohms.

Note that anytime you go separates you are taking a burden off the receiver and the amp does what it was meant to do. Be sure to recalibrate your speakers once you add the amps. Any other questions let me know.

4. DanielKim

Bump

5. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Daniel,

I have the Onkyo 797 and the Parasound 855 and all i can say is WOW! The 855 is a great improvement over the Onkyo's internal amps. The 855 has more dynamic range than most receivers out there. The soundstage is larger and the imaging is excellent. I think you will be very happy if you go the 797/855 route.

6. DanielKim

Cool. I hope someone will pick up my Yamaha. I'm really excited about hearing my speaker's full potential in my room. Thanks for the input. Any other input will be greatly appreciated.

Dan