Marantz ma 700

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Butny, Mar 5, 2002.

1. Mike Butny

Mike Butny Stunt Coordinator

I picked up two Marantz MA700 amps and was wondering if anyone else owns these and what is the proper setting of the gain control. I bought these amps to power my rear speakers which are rated at 4 ohm, so the MA700 are putting out 300 watts into my Jamo THX surround twos.

Equipmemt List

Marantz sr18 THX receiver

TWO Marantz MA700 amps

B&W Nautilus HMT2 center speaker

B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers

Jamo THX suround two's

Toshiba sd2108 dvd player

Toshiba 32in cinema series television(soon to be upgraded)

Monstercables M series and bettercables.com(silver serpent)cables used throughout.

2. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Mike,

Excellent amps! I use three of them for the front soundstage. The gain control can be set to whatever you want (you probably want them both set the same for balance.) I just looked at my settings (it was "set it and forget it" about 1 year ago) and the gain pots are set at what I would describe as the "8:00 o'clock setting" if you look at the alignment of the screw slot. I went to MAX and then backed it off to this setting.

Does this make sense to you?

In my set up I will shortly be adding an Outlaw 755 (five channels of 300 watts/each into 4 ohms - M&K 150 speakers all around) to power the 4 surrounds, with one spare for now.) Out of curiousity I might try three of the 755's channels for the front to see how they compare to the monoblocks. All it takes is moving a few connections around.

3. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Mike,

I have gotten several different answers to that question over the last year and a half since I purchased our MA-700s. The answers have ranged from the 9 o'clock setting (taken from a review of the MA-700s on HiFi Planet), the 12 o'clock setting (from Marantz tech support), the THX setting (many who use them in a THX setup), and the maximum setting.

I always felt that setting it to the maximum was to be avoided because I thought that the gain control was much like a volume control. I figured this setting would produce the most distortion. I have had it explained to me recently that the gain control at most restricts the input signal, and that setting it to the maximum setting minimizes any audible impact on the input signal.

Well, I am still paranoid about the maximum setting, so I have mine at 3 o'clock, which is not that far from the maximum. Whatever you decide, just be sure that you can adjust the sound levels in your receiver to 75 dB. If you can't with the speakers connected to the MA-700s, reduce or increase the gain on the MA-700s until to can obtain 75 dB.

Michael

4. Mike Butny

Thanks for the reply's. Did any instuctions come with these amps? I bought mine from a store that no longer carried marantz products and they were just sitting on a shelf waiting for me to buy them.I was considering getting better powercords attached to them, does anyone know how much this would cost?

5. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Mike,

There is a small manual that comes with the MA-700s, but not much is mentioned about the input gain control. As far as using a different power cord is concerned, the one on the MA-700 is suppose to be fixed internally. Does yours have removable power cords? If so, it sounds like someone modified them better selling them.

Michael

6. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

FYI,

My MA-700s also have fixed power cords.

7. Mike Butny

My powercords are the original cords and are not removable. I was curious if the powercords could some how be upgraded by marantz or by another company.