Marantz Ma 500 monoblocks, where to get the manual?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Serge Breton, Jan 7, 2002.

1. Serge Breton

Serge Breton Supporting Actor

I just received these and need the Marantz manual in order to figure out how to remotely turn these amps on/off. Also, there only seems to be provisions for banana plugs and straight wire for bi-wiring at the amps binding post connections. I dont believe these amps will accept spades but correct me if i'm wrong.

2. Serge Breton

^

3. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Hi,

First off, I know of no place online that carries the MA-500 manual. So, I will try to answer your questions based on my experience with the MA-500s and being an owner of the MA-700s.

You are correct about the speaker wire connections. Your two options are bare wires and bananas. The connectors are not designed to handle spades. I have heard of a few people that have located some narrow spades that seemed to work for them, but there was still the possibility of cutting into the plastic base of the MA-500 connectors.

The MA-500s can only be triggered using a proprietary Marantz/Philips bus connection. In straight terms this means you need another Marantz or Philips component (receiver, prepro, MA-700 monoblock, MA-6100 monoblock, MM-9000 amplifier, etc.) that can send the proprietary signal to the MA-500. Once the first MA-500 is triggered, the remainder can be daisy-chained together. The MA-500s can not be triggered by a video signal or a standard 5-13 volt trigger signal.

FYI, the Marantz MA-6100 is the replacement for the MA-500, and are identical to each other except that the MA-6100 can accept video or 5-13 volt trigger signals.

Michael

4. Serge Breton

that's what i figured. This sucks! What is the power consumption of each monoblock at idle?

5. Michael Mohrmann

Sorry, I do not know the power consumption at idle. The following is a link to the MA-6100 manual, which states a power consumption when ON(?) and in standby mode. This manual could suffice for the MA-500, except that the MA-500 does not have the video/5-13V trigger input, and I do not believe that the MA-500 has an AC outlet.
    However, I do believe that the specifications of the MA-6100 and the MA-500 are the same.
    http://www.marantz.com/pdfs/u_amp_ma6100_man.pdf
    Michael

6. John Cain

John Cain Second Unit

Hi Michael, I have the MA-6100.

So I can trigger the first amp with a 12VDC signal, then use the Marantz plug port to turn the others on daisy-chained together??

Thx!!

-- John

7. Michael Mohrmann

John,

"So I can trigger the first amp with a 12VDC signal, then use the Marantz plug port to turn the others on daisy-chained together??"

When using a non-Marantz trigger (video or 5-13VDC signal), you connect to the first MA-6100's VIDEO/5-13VDC (yellow) input connection. From there, you connect the REMOTE CONT. OUT from the first MA-6100 to the REMOTE CONT. IN of the next MA-6100. If you need to daisy-chain more than two amps, connect the REMOTE CONT. OUT of the last MA-6100 connected to the REMOTE CONT. IN of the the next MA-6100 in the chain. Repeat until all MA-6100s are connected. The last MA-6100 will not have anything connected to it's REMOTE CONT. OUT.

If done properly, once the first MA-6100 goes from standby to on, each MA-6100 in the chain will power on 0.1 second apart. My wife coins the sound they make "popcorn". When you turn off the trigger/prepro/receiver, once the first MA-6100 goes back into standby mode, each MA-6100 in the chain will return to standby mode 0.1 second apart.

BTW, if you are using a Marantz receiver or prepro as your "starting" point, you would connect it's REMOTE CONT. OUT to the first MA-6100's REMOTE CONT. IN instead of the VIDEO/5-13VDC connection. The rest of the chain remains the same.

Michael

8. John Cain

John Cain Second Unit

Thank you Michael. I was hoping this would be possible.

What sort of plug do I use for the remote in?? Is it simply a standard RCA type plug??

Thanks again!

-- John

9. Michael Mohrmann

John,

"What sort of plug do I use for the remote in?? Is it simply a standard RCA type plug??"

My processor uses a bare wire trigger connection, so I went to Radio Shack and purchased (don't have the part # handy) an audio cable that has an RCA plug on one end for my first MA-700, and tinned bare wires on the other end for the processor. I could have just as easily taken a spare audio cable and cut off the RCA plug on one end, separated the two wires, and use that end for the processor.

The remaining connections from monoblock to monoblock using the REMOTE CONT. OUT and REMOTE CONT. IN connections can use any inexpensive audio cable with RCA plugs on both ends. My MA-700s came with with these (RCA plug type with orange strain-reliefs).

Michael

10. Mike Robbins

Mike Robbins Auditioning

Serge, email me if you want electronic form of manual, I have them.

11. Serge Breton

Mike, thank you i will do that. Surely the idle power consumption should be listed there, kinda a pain to have to turn each of these amps on/off manually.