Marantz & Kenwood owners - do you use CS 5.1?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChrisAG, Dec 8, 2001.

1. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

Circle-Surround 5.1 claims to do the same thing as DPL II, but with a wider soundstage. Do you find that to be true, and do you use it more than DPL II, or is it just a gimick to be ignored?

2. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I guess you're deciding between the 5200 and another 6200, eh? I can't fully comment on circle surround because I haven't used it enough, but sometimes it seems to add life to really older stereo/surround material. I'm not sure I like it for everything though, because it tends to add a over-exaggerated false sense of space. It makes things sound like they're in a definite 3 D sort of space, but I can't say that I can localize things as well as with DPL II. that's fine for flat older recordings, as it spices them up, but for others, it kinda seems like too much.

3. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

My Kenwood VR-507 has Circle Surround and I use it all the time for movies on DirecTV that aren't broadcast in DD 5.1. To my ears, it comes closer to DD 5.1 than DPL II does.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    100% agreement, CS5.1 sounds much better than PL-II for both Dolby material and stereo music, however the effect will vary from recording to recording. CS5.1 does have a tiny bit of "artificial" sound vs PL-II, but the center seems more anchored and the sound overall is more spacious. (I have a 6200)

5. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Thats what I was looking for as a describer. The CC is more spacious. I haven't tried it enough. Perhaps I'll experiment a bit more with it.

6. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

I just helped my parents buy the 509 and I set them up for circle also. It sounded more like 5.1 than DPLII. Im not sure if it was because circle surround sounded better, but I was kinda let down with my expectations of DPLII.

7. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

The problem with DPL II on the Marantz SR 5200/6200/7200 is that we don't get the adjustments.

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    We don't get the adjustments, but there are at least different modes for movies and music: regular PL, "PL-II movie" and "PL-II music".