What's new

Marantz DV4800 (1 Viewer)

SeanA

Second Unit
I am just curious if anyone has come across reviews of this new player ? I saw it in the New Products section of "Sound & Vision" magazine, and it appears to have some awesome capability: DVD-Audio, SACD, THX certified, full bass management, and a DVI output. I am wondering how it compares in video and sound quality to some of the top Denon machines.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Sean,

I take it you mean the 8400. It is said to have a different audio sginature than the Denon 2900, leaning more to the warmer side which some interpret as "better." Whether the audio quality is literally better because of this boils down to your own personal taste. In the end, both units are excellent audio performers with DVD-A/SACD. In the video department, I'm not sure, but I think that most reviewers and owners prefer the picture quality of the 2900 slightly. However, I think PQ on both is quite good. The 8400 does have DVI output, but it's inactive (firmware upgrade will come from Marantz once a standard is decided upon). Keep in mind that the 8400 goes for $700 more than the Denon 2900, so you will have to determine if the Marantz justifies the extra expense. The Denon 5900 is not yet out and goes for $300 more than the Marantz. It will have DVI output PLUS firewire 1394, Denon Link, and scaling for non-anamorphic films. The PQ quality will likely be superior to the 2900 and 8400, but we'll have to wait and see on this one. I believe the current Sound & Vision issue you have has a review of the Denon 2900.

Hope this helps.

Reg

SeanA

Second Unit
Big Goof !!!

It is the Marantz DV8400, not DV4800. I wish I could edit the topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks