What's new

Marantz DV4500 (1 Viewer)

Kevin_F

Stunt Coordinator
I have read some good things about this dvd player at another forum, but was curious if anyone has had any experience with it or any other DVD players by Marantz?

Thank you

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I have a DV6400 and love it for hi-res audio. Its PQ is fine on interlaced on my analogue CRT TV, but I've not seen it in prog scan. It has a great error correction system as I found out a couple of weeks ago. I have another player for movie watching (I use my Marantz only for hi-res audio) and was viewing a rented disc. The disc froze up and pixellated and was a general mess about halfway into the movie. I took the disc out, noticed a rather severe scratch and was about to stomp off angrily the rental store when I decided (since I had a second player hooked up) to try it in the Marantz. The PQ was a bit washed out compared to my other player (but I hadn't calibrated it with DVE as I had my other player) but it played through the problem scenes without ANY hesitation whatsoever. I'd have never bothered to look for a scratch if I'd started playing the movie in the Marantz from the beginning.

I believe the 4500 is the same as the 6400/6500 in all aspects except hi-res audio. If that's not a priority for you, and you don't need DVI/HDMI then it's probably worth auditioning.

Kevin_F

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Paul, I don't have any interest in SACD or DVD-A, which is why I am planning on the 4500 over the 6500. Thanks for your input, as I said, I haven't read too many bad things about this player so I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will be happy with it. ;)

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
No, it came only with a basic red, white and yellow cable set, not suitable for component video cable use. However, I use the red/white/yellow Radio Shack Gold cables (quite inexpensive) and they work just fine (when I bought them, the red/green/blue coded cables--otherwise identical--were twice the price. The salesguy told me the ones I bought would be just fine, he was right).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks