Marantz DV-8300

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Pierson, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Scott Pierson

Scott Pierson Stunt Coordinator

Since it has been discussed here, and people were wondering when this would actually show up, I thought I would share that my dealer called Marantz today and was told they are shipping and are already back-ordered till August 20th. Placed the order today and it should arrive by the end of the month.

Best part was that the retail price from Marantz was $1,500, not the $2,000 we've been hearing about.

Can't wait.

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Scott, thanks for the info. $1500 sounds awfully cheap for a Marantz component, especially a universal player. Other Marantz SACD players have sold for a lot more. It will be interesting to see how good the '8300 will be for SACD, DVD-Audio, and DVD-Video.

It has been said by some that the '8300 is based on the Pioneer Elite DV-47A. If the '8300 was not designed from scratch, perhaps it helps to keep the price down.

3. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    I popped into my local dealer to pick up some cables today, and I noticed they had an 8300 in stock. It looks very nice (appearance much better than the equivalent Pioneer, sturdier front panel and nice solid buttons) but seems overall to be a very lightweight unit and was positively dwarfed by the Denon 3800 next to it. Physically it looks to be about the same size as the Pioneer (ie very slim), and the feature-set is practically identical, but the front panel layout was quite different. I wasn't impressed by the remote at all (but then I never am [​IMG] ). RRP was NZ$3999 ($US1800).
    I was in a bit of a hurry so didn't ask them to hook it up to their front projector, so can't comment on actual performance. However, judging from Marantz's past track-record it should sound outstanding (although I wouldn't be surprised if picture quality is indistinguishable from the Pioneer it's based on).
    Adam

4. Scott Pierson

Keith--

I agree, but I'm thinking it may just be a shrewd marketing strategy to get some of these players into the hands of people. I'm in the process of setting up a front projection system in a dedicated room above my garage. I will have a Runco vx1000c and a Stewart Greyhawk screen (94" diagonal, 16x9), He has been encouraging me to upgrade my DVD source from a bottom of the line Sony carousel from 3 years ago to feed the Runco a higher quality source. He had been recommending either the Integra DVD player for $3k, or the Marantz 12S1 for $2,500. He found out this week that Marantz had dropped the price on the 12S1 to $995, and so he thought that would be the steal of the century.

When I asked him about the 8300, that's when he called Marantz to find out the price and shipping status, and also ask about the video quality as compared to the 12S1, indicating he was skeptical about a product retailing for $1500 being superior to the product that originally retailed for $2500. The Marantz rep wasn't sure, and called him back in about 15 minutes after talking to the engineers, who said that they considered the 8300 to be superior in video and audio due to the 12 bit video DAC as compared to the 12S1's 10 bit, and the 8300 using three Audio DAC's for multichannel out (one for each pair of channels).

I agree it will be a physically lightweight player... the spec sheet says it will weigh about 14 lbs. and the photos look like it has a fairly low profile. In the end i just care about how it looks (video-wise) and sounds. The specs also say it has a separate power supply (custom designed and custom wired by Marantz) for the audio section and all of the video circuitry can be disengaged for audio-only listening.

I hope it's as sweet as it sounds. (keeping my fingers crossed).

5. Scott Pierson

Duplicate post (argh!)

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Cool. Some "competition" for Pioneer. [​IMG] $1500 with a 20 or 30% discounted street price puts it into my ballpark...

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Scott,

Thanks for sharing the knowledge. Good sleuthing with the dealer. I will be very curious to read reviews of the '8300, especially on the audio side.

Kevin,

Absolutely. It's nice to have another universal player to choose from. Hopefully Marantz got it right with DVD-Audio and SACD.

8. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

9. Scott Pierson

Doug--

I suppose it would just be a button on the remote and faceplate one could toggle. For DVD-A, toggle video on to navigate. Once playing, toggle it off to listen.

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Doug and Scott, most, if not all, DVD-Audio players have a video-off feature. With most players, you can turn off the video via the remote and/or front panel.

11. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

12. Scott Pierson

Doug--
    I hear you. For what it's worth, the spec sheet also says the remote has a "full set of discrete IR commands designed specifically for whole house custom automation."
    There's a picture of the remote on the sheet but it's not clear enough to read any of the button labels. It may do what you're looking for. [​IMG]

13. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Scott,
    Yes, I believe there have been folks who have posted the appropriate string of commands to get DVD-A to play without the video on. May have been player-dependent though. Hopefully it will be less complicated than the infamous Sponge Bob bubble-blowing procedure [​IMG] .
    Doug

14. Joe e h

Joe e h Stunt Coordinator

Just poping in to keep track of this thread. I am in the market for a DVD A player. I like the thought of a DVD A & SACD in one unit.

15. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

I saw one yesterday and was told our RRP would be A$3000 (~US$1450). The finish looked very nice and classy and it seemed much sturdier than the Pioneer 733.

16. WarrenCo

WarrenCo Agent

I checked out the Marantz 8300 yesterday at Harveys in Paramus NJ for about an hour.

The front display can be turned off and the piece felt heavy and of good quality.

The associated equipment was :

an Approx $2800 Marantz reciever (sorry I can't recall the model #)
    a pair of KEf mains (Approx $5K retail)
    Kef center speaker,
    Boston Acoustic dipole surriunds
    Rel Sub (Model just below the Stadium I believe)
    Fujistu 42" Plasma

I listened to 1 or 2 tracks from the following sources.

DVD Audio: QUeens "a Night at the Opera" and Eagles "Hotel California"
    Both sounded good, but not as good as the Panasonic RP-91 in my system. Its hard to know without bringing the 8300 into my system, but my guess is that the associated equipment is the reason and that the 8300 will probably sound better in my system than the RP-91.

SACD: Jeff BEcks "Blow by Blow" sounded good but a little bright. I have not heard SACD on my system so I can't really compare.

Redbook CD: Zeppelin IV sounded good, but again not as good as on my system I am guessing for the reason stated above.

Video; James Taylor "Live at the Beacon' and Pink Floyd's "The Wall" sounded good, but looked washed out and there was a a horizontal white line moving up and down the picture. HDNet looked very nice on the Fujitsu. THe salesman said the 8300 looked poor because of the switcher it was run thru and it was run with S-Video.

For reference my home system is : (Can someone tell me how to do a link so I don't have to list it all here?)

Display : Pioneer Elite 610 (58" widescreen, HD ready)

Satellite Reciever : Dish 6000 w Over the Air Module (High Def)

DVD : Pansonic RP-91 (Prog Scan / DVD - Audio)

VCR : JVC HM-DH3000U (HD VCR should get in June) and Sony (stereo)

Antenna : Channel master (4297?) with amp and rotor

PreAmp: Integra Research RDC-7

Amp (Mains): Sunfire Signature Series 2 channel (1650 watts 4 into ohms)
    Amp (Surrounds): Sunfire Signature Series 5 channel (850 watts 4 into ohms)

SPEAKERS

Mains : Aerial Acoustic 10T's (RoseWalnut)

Center : Aerial Acoustic CC5 (Black) w black stand

Side : Aerial Acoustic 10T's (Black)

Rear : Aerial Acoustic SR3's (White) w white stand

Subwoofer : Rel Stadium III (Black)

Cd changer : Yamaha lower end model (would like to replace with SACD/DVD-Audio changer or mega changer)

Hope this unscientific quick overview is helpful in some way.

17. Scott Pierson

Cool report Warren.

Can't wait to try it in my set-up.

18. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Uh, yea Warren, your system might be a hair better than the one you auditioned at Harveys [​IMG] . I would suggest that if you are interested in the Marantz player that you find a dealer that has a good return policy so you can play with it in your system. I'm not sure if Harveys has such a policy. If you do that, please do post an update of your impressions [​IMG] .
    Doug

19. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Hmmm...
    Likes like I got to dig up a local Marantz dealer to check this puppy out... [​IMG]