What's new
  • Announcing New Ownership at Home Theater Forum. Learn More

Marantz DV-7001 Univ. Player /DPL II Questions (1 Viewer)

rvance

Auditioning
Real Name
Roger
I'm a little confused about the DPL II function. I thought it would be able to take 2 channel material (i.e. Redbook CD, video) and synthesize a 5 or 5.1 channel output with it. My friend has an Onkyo receiver with DPL II and it performs this function very nicely. I have a Kenwood 5.1 receiver with its own DSP modes, which I ignore, but I listen to a lot of DVD-A and SACD in "6 channel direct", and, of course, watch DVD in DD or DTS. When I contacted Marantz support about the use of this function they replied that it is for playback of "DPL II encoded discs", and ignored my original question. I have never seen DPL II encoded anything! I thought it was an inmproved DSP circuit for rendering multi-track playback from 2 channel material, including older video soundtracks. Any ideas ?? Thanks.

p.s., another strange "feature" of this player is it completely masks the picture when you access any picture adjustment menus! If you want to make adjustments, you have to do so blind, then return to the picture to see what effect your tweaks have made. Then repeat the process. Very inconvenient. Marantz had nothing to say about this weird design glitch except "sorry."

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
On this I agree completely. It's really the only thing I don't like about the 6770. I've seen some tv's that do the same thing. Makes it hard to see what you're doing.

rvance

Auditioning
Real Name
Roger
Thanks for asking, Gene. I am not able to coax 5.1 channel playback from DPL II on this unit. When selecting DPL II from the format menu (3 choices: stereo, multi, DPL II) nothing happens. When I asked Marantz how to engage this function (the manual does not explain the function), they said it is meant for playback of DPL II encoded material. Hence, my confusion.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The DPLII function from the 7001 is accessed via the same analog connection as DVD-A and SACD. On my Yamaha I go into the players menu and select "audio setup page" then "analog output" and switch it to "multi-channel" it should work thru the 6 channel out. But I'm pretty sure 2 channel DVD-A/SACD sources are not converted to 5.1 but I could be wrong.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I finally had time to download the 7001's manual and it looks like there are three choices in the "Audio Out" section. "2 Channel", "Virtual Surround", and "5.1". Set it to 5.1 and it should work. It is a little different than my Yamaha. And again, this will only work thru the analog outs. If you use the digital out your receiver will do the processing. Hope this helps.

rvance

Auditioning
Real Name
Roger
Thanks for your research and tenacity, Gene. I have tried to activate thru the audio set-up menu and with the remote button "sound mode" selector that toggles these three settings. I'll keep at it some more.

rvance

Auditioning
Real Name
Roger
Yes, Gene- That did the trick. When in 5.1 on the audio set-up menu and with the receiver in "5.1 direct". I'm getting pretty good 3 channel response with a very diffuse surround effect (I have 5 full range speakers) in the rear speakers. No sub, tho', probably due to no LFE info on the cd? So far it's not nearly as clear or dynamic as DVD-A or SACD, but that's to be expected. Not bad, though. Thanks again for your help. Roger

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The only other things I can think of you probably have already done but I'll mention them anyway. Make sure the center and surrounds are not turned off in the 7001's speaker setup menu and also make sure the cd sampling rate is turned off. The player will revert to two channel if the sampling rate is set to 88.2 or 176.4. See Page 43. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go2go
Recent bookmarks