What's new

Marantz DV 6400 ... worth it? (1 Viewer)

Doug Smith

Second Unit
I presently have a Toshiba 4800, but was considering the above unit- mainly for the SACD. Any other bells and whistles on the Marantz to make the switch worthwhile?

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
It's universal, if that matters to you. I am getting one tomorrow, but it will be a while before I can test it on my own TV as we're moving to a new house and everything is in storage. The SACD xover is 80hz, the DVD-A xover is 100hz (according to Sound and Vision lab tests, the manual says 100hz only). Both Sound and Vision and Home Theater Mag gave it very high marks for video, though I don't think it fares as well over at Secrets. Prog scan is moot for me, so I'm not too concerned. I should point out that I plan to use this machine almost only for SACD, as I will have a Cambridge Audio 540D for DVD-A/CD playback. Do a search on ecoustics.com for reviews on the player and you can read for yourself the caveats. The competition for this player, in price range, are the Denon 2200 and (upcoming) Yamaha S1500, in the US. In Canada, the Denon 2200 is several hundred dollars more at retail than the Marantz (which is why I'm going with Marantz rather than 2200) and the Yamaha is unreleased as yet (with an unknown MSRP up here).

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
I personally take the Secrets of Home Theater test results with a grain of salt anymore. I have 6400 and think the video is quite impressive on it. I've tested it out on the usual discs for CUE, including Toy Story, and have not noticed the CUE on it. I think the video is better than my Elite DV-45A universal, but I like the audio on my Elite a litt better for both CD and mult-channel. The video is very comparable to my Yamaha CX-1, which did rate fairly well in the Secrets tests, for whatever it's worth.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks