Marantz DV-4300 progressive scan problems

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Konstantinos_G, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Konstantinos_G

Konstantinos_G Auditioning

Konstantinos
    Hello fellow HTF fans,

I just bought yesterday the hard-to-get-because-it-is-supposedly-good Marantz DV-4300 player (DVD Video only) and hooked it up to my InFocus ScreenPlay 110 (DLP) projector via component connections.

When I purchased the player (Region 2) I was told from the store that this model can play progressive PAL (576p) as well as progressive NTSC (480p), the latter being the only specification on the brochures I read (the PAL progressive did not appear anywhere). My InFocus can play progressive PAL/NTSC, already tested with another DVD player. Finally, this Marantz was set region-free with some remote codes the store input themselves (don't know them!)

When I played Region 1 discs, the player made the InFocus projector switch to "component HDTV" mode with 480p (NTSC) as output. I was happy as a baby--Episode II and LotR played flawlessly. But when I inserted (many) Region 2 discs (PAL) that is when the problems started.

The Marantz player firmware seems buggy enough NOT to make the projector "lock" on the "component HDTV 576p" for PAL, resulting to the inability to obtain a picture. The projector was trying to lock to progressive PAL, switching between interlaced and progressive continuously, but there was nothing I could do. Then, I pressed the PAL/NTSC button on the Marantz remote, and for some reason, the PAL image was being fed to the projector as 480p, being squeezed and awful, of course. Crazy!

When I switch to NON-PROGRESSIVE PAL (i.e. interlaced) the projector locks to component 576i picture with no problem. What the hell?!?

Does anyone else have this Marantz DV-4300 hooked on a progressive-capable projector? Does anyone else faced problems with PAL (Region 2) discs?

For some reason (mastering?) the MGM James Bond discs (Region 2) played FINE without any problem at all.

Can Marantz make such a bad player? Just because it's "progressively" cheaper doesn't mean it must suck!

Come one Marantz owners, don't be shy to speak out :)

Thanks in advance!

2. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

I am interested in this player myself. I would like to know of any problems with it. Has anyone else had any other problems?

3. David Preston

Does anyone have this DVD player?

4. Brian tj

Brian tj Stunt Coordinator

Hi David
    Yes I have Mar.dv-4300. I am new at this do not know region1 and region 2 Problems. Think this may not be a problem for many of us. It looks grate on my pioneer plasma[​IMG] And sounds even better on my B&K ref 50& B&K 200.7[​IMG] But did think the unit is pricey$$ and the remote is not lit[​IMG] soon it will all be on one remote[​IMG]
    Shop for good deal!!! I think I pad $1100.00 pade for new tech. I believe they have new one out Now do not know #
    So much for paying for latest tech.
    Hear is a look at my HT if your interested.http://users.nac.net/armor/ [​IMG] Good luck

5. Brian tj

Brian tj Stunt Coordinator

Hi David
    Sorry for last post. I suffer from brain fade.[​IMG] I have 8300 not 4300.

6. David Preston

I was like $1100 that is pricey. Oh well maybe someone will come along with one. Thanks for the effort though. David

7. Koit

Koit Auditioning

Nowadays I have a DV-4300 hooked up to a Sony HS-10. I don't have any problems with PS PAL, PS NTSC, R1 or R2. Everything plays just fine.

I used to have LG RL-JA20 projector that didn´t support PS PAL. The proportions of the picture was screwed up. That was one reason I had the LG replaced. PS PAL is sort of an unoffcial standard isn't it? Very few DVD players support it out the box anyway.

I have had two problems with the DV-4300 so far:
    After two weeks the DV-4300 was completly dead. I returned it to the shop. They told me that it was a broken cable.

Now the DV-4300 sometimes messes up the subtitles. Maybe once per DVD. It's random, ie if I replay the scene the subtitle is ok.

8. David Preston

I think I have decided to go with the Denon 910. It will be out soon and it's a little less $$$. I also will check out the Denon 1600.