Marantz - clicks when changing volume?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by sasha, Jan 13, 2002.

1. sasha

sasha Extra

When I change volume on my Marantz 18EX, both by rotating the knob and by using the remote (which does not rotate the knob), I hear audible pretty high-pitch clicks in the speakers. They stop when I stop changing the volume. Most noticable when I change volume fast.

Is this something known about these receivers? Have other owners noticed it? Should I be worried about this?

In general, I read some threads about problems people were having with Marantz receivers (slow digital audio format pickup, video sync problems).. was there any "resolution", fix from marantz, or did they fix it in newer-run production units? How do I tell when my unit was produced? It's only got a random cryptic number on its back...

Thanks!

2. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

I experienced the same thing with our Marantz SR-8000 receiver and Marantz AV-9000 prepro. Just as you described, most noticeable when the volume is quickly changed. An explanation I was given was that this was related to the digital volume control in the Marantz. There are some receivers/processors that mute this out, others don't.

I wouldn't think that this is a problem unless the sound is breaking up when changing the volume.

Michael

3. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Doesn't happen with my Marantz AV560U pre/pro or with my previous Denon 1801.

Kevin