What's new

Marantz CD4000 to Arcam CD72T - any difference? (1 Viewer)

Daneel

Stunt Coordinator
I just got an Arcam CD72T and have it setup next to my Marantz CD4000. I have run the same interconnect between the CD players and my Pioneer 45tx. I put on the same CD in each player started them both at the same time and switched to see how my new CD player had improved over the old one.

After a couple of minutes listening I realised I can't tell any difference at all, apart from the Marantz being about 1-2 dB louder. The only benefits I seem to have gained are that the Arcam is all but silent in operation whereas the Marantz has a slight buzz, I believe from the power supply and I now have CD text which is nice (is there a site or something on CDs that tells you which ones have text by the way?).

I paid 4 times more for the Arcam than I did for the Marantz and I was hoping for a nice boost in sound quality. Has anyone listened to these CD players and can comment? I seem to have just wasted money that could have been put towards new front speakers (B&W 602 S3 at the moment).

Scott_N

Second Unit
Are you using the analog or digital outputs on the CD players? I would let the Arcam run for 100-200 hours before making a final decision on it's sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks