Marantz CC-4300 - Anybody heard or seen one?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by John Di Lauro, Aug 19, 2002.

1. John Di Lauro

John Di Lauro Stunt Coordinator

I am considering this unit. Looks like it supercedes the 4000 which seems to be a well-regarded changer, so I would expect the 4300 to be similar in sound a build quality.

Unfortunately, my local Marantz dealer has none in stock so I can't actually demo one before I order it.

Anybody have any experience with this unit? Thanks for the help.

John

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

John, the CC4300 must be new. I have heard nothing about it before reading your post. I will be at a Marantz dealer tomorrow, but I will make a mental note to look for the CC4300. The CC4000OSE is a good changer in its price range, so I wonder if Marantz will make an OSE version of the CC4300.
    Www.hifi.com , the only authorized mail-order dealer for Marantz gear, does not have the CC4300 on its web site. Hifi.com does have the CC3000 for $200, the CC4000 for $250, and the CC4000OSE for $350, however.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

John, in checking Marantz's web site, it looks like there will be no OSE version of the CC4300. That's too bad. The web site only lists the CC3000 and CC4300 changers. What price have you been quoted for the CC4300, if you don't mind my asking?

4. John Di Lauro

Keith,

Thanks for the replies. The local dealer quoted me $239, which based on an MSRP of $299 seems pretty good.

This unit looks to be an update of the 4000. Some of the specs look a tad better and it now sports both a coaxial and digital out.

I think I remember reading in one of your posts that you own either the 4000 or the 4000OSE, correct?

John

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

John, you can't complain about a 20% discount on a new Marantz CD player from a brick-and-mortar dealer. Not bad at all. The Marantz dealer I went to today did not have the CC4300. If you do get one, please post your thoughts.

I do not own the CC4000 or CC4000OSE. Perhaps you read a post where I listed them among player someone might consider purchasing.

6. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

For what it's worth, John, I have a nearly three-year-old Marantz changer, the CC-67, which was phased out when the 3000 and 4000 were introduced.

My wife and I have this player on for a couple of hours nearly every night. It is a very impressive player: sounds great, makes smoothe and quick changes on random (an absolute must in my opinion) and it's well built. It was because of this player's quality that I purchased a Marantz DVD player, the DV-7010. I haven't been disappointed.

I don't know about the quality of Marantz's other products, but when it comes to CD and DVD players, this company knows what it's doing.

Mark

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I had a CC-4000 for exactly 6 months before it died, without warning, while I was listening to it, taking one of my favorite CDs with it. [​IMG] Despite my dealer telling me that this is the first Marantz player he has EVER had come back, and the fact that I love their other stuff, I will probably not buy another lower end Marantz CD player.
    I listened to a few other players they had there, and actually found that the Sony CA-70ES sounded better than the 4000 for not much more. So I paid the difference, took home the Sony and I am very pleased so far.
    I tried to order a CC-4000 OSE, but they said they were discontinued and could not get any more of them.

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

John, for what it's worth, www.hifi.com , an authorized Marantz dealer, has the CC4000OSE for $350.

9. John Di Lauro

Mark/John/Keith,

Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it.

John, sorry you had a bad experience with your changer. Everybody builds a lemon from time to time. While you had it, did you enjoy the way it sounded? I had also considered the Sony CA70ES, but I believe it cannot play CD-R discs so I dropped it from my list.

Keith, thanks for the tip. My system is pretty modest so I tend to doubt I could hear the difference between the OSE and standard model. I don't think my ears are that good, either (too much time spent around noisy machinery, I fear).

BTW, what I meant to type in my last message is that the 4300 has both a coaxial and an optical digital output.

John

10. John Garcia

John
    I have no problems with CD-R with the CA-70ES. [​IMG] All but one stand alone, component CD player I have used in the last 10+ years has been able to play CD-Rs. It is more often earlier DVD players that could not.
    I liked the sound of the CC-4000, but I feel the CA-70ES sounds noticably better. I wanted the 4000 because I have an SR6200 receiver and a RC2000 MKII remote, so I could use all the existing CD commands already in the remote, rather than program them in for the Sony. Just a nicety, but sound comes before ease of use in this case. My plan has been to add an SACD player soon anyway, just waiting to see what new stuff is coming in the ES line.
    Having digital outs is not a big deal to me, as I prefer the sound of the CA-70's DACs over the receiver's so far. With the 4000, I could not tell the difference between analog and digital connection, but with the Sony, I can. Now that it is fairly well broken in, I will have to compare digital to analog again...[​IMG]

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

John DiLauro,

No problem. If you don't feel the CC4000OSE would benefit you, at least the CC4300 is a cheaper way to go. Hopefully the CC4300 would suit you. The Sony 'CA70ES is worth considering, as is the Denon DCM-370 for around the same price.

John Garcia,

I once had the 'CA80ES (two of them actually), and it played CD-Rs. Sony did not specify CD-R compatibility with CD players of that generation, but I found that the 'CA80ES had no problem playing them. However, the 'CA80ES had problems fast forwarding through tracks on CD-Rs. It would hiccup and start playing the disc from some random point even though I was still pressing the fast forward button. I never had that problem with standard CDs.

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

John Garcia said:

13. John Garcia

John

14. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

John, I would watch developments closely if I were you regarding ES SACD changers. The way things are going right now, we may see the 'C222ES and 'C555ES disappear completely without Sony offering replacements.

15. John Garcia

John
    If there is no replacement, then maybe I can pick one up for a good price. I am concerned that there won't be a replacement, and they will stick with just the REALLY higher $$ stuff, like the XA777 and their DVD/SACD combo players. I don't really want a combo player, and I certainly can't afford a S9000.

16. charles_w

charles_w Stunt Coordinator

John,

The 222ES can be had for $325.00-350.00 delivered

Lee

17. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

John, I was about to say what Charles said. Call Oade Bros. at 1-229-228-0093 or 1-229-228-4480 for the best price. For $550-600, you should be able to get the 'C555ES from OneCall (1-800-340-4770), J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180), or Oade Bros.

18. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

John Di Lauro,
    I have a Marantz CC-3000 ($200) cd changer which I like a lot in my modest setup. We also have a cheaper Sony CE-375 in the bedroom and the Marantz definitely seems better built and quieter during operation especially when changing discs. As for sound, like you, I have a modest setup and am not a critical listener, but I would say there was a marginal improvement from the Sony to the Marantz. With the Sony and my Pioneer 811S receiver, the Pioneer's DACs sounded better so I used the digital connection. With the Marantz and Pioneer, my wife (in a pseudo blind test [​IMG] ) chose the Marantz's DACs so we went analog with the Marantz.
    good luck,
    --tom

19. John Di Lauro

ThomasL, thanks for the input. From what I gather, the consensus is that the Marantz changers sound better than the budget Sony players but not quite as good as the Sony ES units, though that of course is a matter of taste. I have heard also that the Marantz changers have the smoothest, quietest carousel mechanisms in that price range.

For the group: This thread has gotten me more interested in SACD. The price drop of the Sony 222ES puts it perhaps in my price range. I looked at KeithH's SACD list and was surprised how many appealing titles I found (how is "Kind of Blue" is SACD?)

I'm concerned, though, that Sony seems to no have no new SACD changers on deck. To me, this suggests a couple of possibilities:

1) The SACD changers didn't sell well
    2) Sony may be abandoning the SACD format

The latter seems unlikely, but most people I talk to outside of this forum have never even heard of SACD. As someone here once said, most people think MP3s sound good, so realistically how big is the market for a higher-than-CD-fidelity format?

What are your thoughts?

John

20. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

John, I can give you my thoughts as someone who is not a critical listener nor an audiophile but tries to be an informed budget A/V enthusiast [​IMG]
    I'm actually not that familiar with the specifics of dvd-audio and sacd so others can correct/educate me. I'm speaking more as a layman here since I've used neither format.
    If we simply take the issue of which multi-channel audio format will take off mainstream, I'd say neither unless it replaces CDs. Why? Because, what ordinary users would want as an upgrade to CDs would be a combination disc that came with a 2 channel mix, a multi-channel mix as well as some "extras" perhaps in the form of videos or behind the scenes in making the record. They would want the disc to be playable in their dvd-video player as well as their next generation 2 channel stereo disc player. If multi-channel audio discs are simply that - multi-channel mixes of music - then I don't believe it'll ever go mainstream. The reason being that most ordinary folk don't sit in one spot doing critical listening of music. They put on music and then do other things as it plays in the background. This is why 2 channel mixes are really all a majority of people will probably ever want so any new audio format that replaces CD needs to have a requirement that every release has a 2 channel mix. This would be analagous to the fact that every DD 5.1 dvd also comes with a DPL mix that can be played on a set of stereo speakers.
    So, my question is, do all dvd-audio or sacd discs come with 2 channel mixes as well? Others who are more experts in this area can educate me on the current functionality of dvd-audio and sacd. But my main point above is that ordinary users would embrace a new higher fidelity format - not for that reason - but because it was the new cool thing on the block and still did what the old format did too. I work in the software business and one thing I've learned about replacing an existing technology is: no matter how much users hate/complain about the old, if the new system doesn't at least do what the old system did well, they'll reject the new system.
    But if both dvd-audio and sacd were to do all the above, then which would take off? I say dvd-audio. Why? Because the acronym starts with 'dvd'. I'm not being facetious either. 'dvd' has become an almost household acronym so any new musical format that starts with 'dvd' has a huge advantage in the world of the ordinary mainstream person.
    Others I'm sure will disagree and I don't mean to say that sacd will go away, I just think if either of them become household names, it'll be dvd-audio.
    cheers,
    --tom