Marantz AV550 Tuner/Pre/Processor

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Guy Usher, Nov 18, 2002.

1. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

I bought this AV550 new late in 2000, used it for about 6 months, put it back in the box where it sat untill recently when I needed to use it again. Tip: dont leave batteries in the remote if you are going to put it up. I had to buy a new RC 2000Mk2 remote for 235 dollars, now the package is in as new condition, not a scratch on it, works perfectly.
    I bought a new AV9000 today based on my experiance with the 550, many ways the 550 is the same as its big brother, very easy to set-up and use, good OS menues, great Remote.
    I think the 550 uses the yamaha chip which actualy gives it a better sound in 5.1 than the later 560. No DTS (bummer)
    but a great Tuner/Pre-Processor none the less.
    $400.00 delivered, if you are near Dallas and want to come and get it then $350 You wont beat this deal, this piece would pass as a new one! Box, manuel, remote etc[​IMG]

2. Guy Usher

OK Folks, I am moving to Ohio next wensday the 26th how about I drop to the bottom line . . . 325 delivered (lower 48) or 275 you pay the freight.
    My wife noticed this post and said why dont you just tell em to come and get it for nothing, after paying 235 for a Remote less than 2 weeks ago, doesnt leave much for the TPP.
    Might consider a mint NHT center speaker in trade, part or full depending which one. I use 5 NHT Super Ones now, they make a center that matches but I cant call the model now. . .
    BTW: This would make for a cheap high quality Tuner Pre-amp for stereo use only, if someone wanted to go that route. . .

3. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

I definitely feel the need to give this a bump. I had a Marantz AV560 and recently sold it but missed the remote badly. I have a Marantz dealer that agreed to sell me an RC2000MKII for $115. He had a AV550 hooked up there and let me tell you guys, I liked it better than the AV560. The 550 is definitely better for music and DD sounds just more dynamic and the dealer was selling this for $525.
    Guy is letting someone steal this for $325 delivered. For that price, you'd be getting a great Remote and a great prepro as a bonus.

4. Guy Usher

Nick,
    Thanks for the bump.
    This 550 will fit real nice in someones audio/video system, wish I was in the market. . .
    If I put it on the moving van next tues I keep it, deal is off, If I have to give it away I already know a nice home for it, and get lots more than 300 bucks worth of PR. . .

5. Guy Usher

I am open to trades, 1st a NHT center channel speaker (or equivalant) 2nd a 2 channel amp (981 Rotel or equal) 3rd a decent DIY sub 12 inch no amp or Xover, just a nice box with a good 12 in woofer (math has to be right) I have a xover (internal) and an amp 4th an active cross-over (stand alone)5th ? ? ?
    I will be computerless from tuesday of next week untill sometime during the first week of Dec.
    I am not "Frantic" to sell this as I do have a home for it, however I would rather sell it or trade it for something I will use or that I need.

6. Scott Hine

Scott Hine Stunt Coordinator

Can you tell me...Dose this have Component in and out, on this receiver?

7. Guy Usher

No componet switching on this PTT, S-Vid, Composite only, hard to find componet switching at this price point ($1000) HDTV componet in particular. . .

8. Guy Usher

I have now moved to Ohio Price is now 450 delivered. Iknow someoone who knows just what this piece is will jump on it, still a bargain at 450 dollars. . .Think about it. ..

9. Robert Ma

Robert Ma Second Unit

Would you sell the preamp without the remote? I'd be interested in $200 shipped without the remote.

10. Guy Usher

To Pen. yes I would as I can return the remote for full refund.
    I am holed up in a motel for a few days waiting foor our house to be ready send me a PM and we can go from there.
    This is an excellent Pre-Pro, not a scratch on it and works flawlesly, acctually it was only ussed for aout 8 monthhs ( excuse this keyboard)

11. Robert Ma

Robert Ma Second Unit

Cool,
    How many digital inputs does it have? I couldn't pic up the specs anywhere...

I need 1 coax and a minimum of 2 optical (DVD Player coax, DirecTivo optical, Xbox Optical) and of course the 3rd optical for my CD changer is not a necessity.

Bob

12. Guy Usher

You can find this AV550 on GOOGLE AND IN the audio review.com where there are many reviews and links to sites concerning this piece.
    The AV550 has 1 optical, 1 coaxial, and 1RF digital inputs, the RF is LD I guess. If this is not enough you can buy an opptical switcher at RS very cheap ( just a few dollars) I never needed more than 2 one for DSS and one for DVD, on the 560 they changed doing away with the RF and adding another coax dig input.
    I have looked at the Radio Shack Optical switcher, I think you can plug in 5 or 6 digital devices and switch between them I think they even have one that can be controled by remote.
    Dont lett this stop you unless you have a line on a similar processor, for the money we are talking about you only win, I am confident once you hear it you will be very happy you got it.
    I went to your site, I see you are proud of your gear, rightfully so, I see the Marantz reciever, you will find the OS display and menues will be almost Identiical. One reason I bought the AV9000 is for that, so easy to use, no learning curve. This AV550 is as clean as anything you have and would be a nice addition, it will blend in well with your other Marantz pieces.

13. Robert Ma

Robert Ma Second Unit

Your right, for the cash I am not gonna do any better. I didn't think of using a optical switcher.
    Email me at [email protected] so we can wrap up the deal.
    Bob

14. Guy Usher

Robert,
    I will send you an email from work in the morninng.
    Web-TV SUCKS
    Thanks_____________Guy

15. Guy Usher

Robert left me "at the alter" I will split this up if anyone is interested in the remote(brand new I can prove it new) or the Pre-Pro 175.00 remote 200.00 TPP
    You will not find a better 550 than this one period, it would pass for new if you did not know it was used (less than 100 hours)

16. Guy Usher

I will trade this setup for an SVS (no-amp) sub
    I will throw in a Rotel 981 2 channel (130x2 mint) for the right one that is powered.

17. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Never mind - no post.