Marantz AV-9000

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Deacon, Mar 8, 2002.

1. Kevin Deacon

Kevin Deacon Second Unit

I have been reading a little about this pre/pro and the specs state that it has six-channel direct inputs. When I look at a photo of the rear of the unit I see only a center, sub woofer, and l/r surrounds. What happened to the l/r main inputs. What am I missing here?. I don't want to purchase a pre/pro that doesn't have 5.1 inputs (sacd, dvda, etc..).

2. Selden Ball

Selden Ball Second Unit

Selden
    Rather than have a completely separate set of 5.1 inputs, the AV-9000's 3.1 c/sr/sl/sub inputs have to be associated with one of the stereo R+L analog inputs to yield a 5.1 input. (I chose to associate them with the "CD" input on mine: I use digital audio from a DVD megachanger for Redbook CDs.)

Each of the 4 digital audio inputs also can be associated with whichever analog A/V input is appropriate.

Don't forget that the AV-9000 predates DPLII and 6.1 audio, in case they matter to you. As a result it's now available at a significant discount compared to its original price. Although it doesn't have all the current bells-and-whistles, the audio quality is extremely good. It does support 24/96 PCM stereo input from DAD discs, however. Most pre/pros don't.

I hope this clarifies things a little.

3. Kevin Deacon

Kevin Deacon Second Unit

Thanks Seldon, I figured if I can find a good deal on this unit I'll snag it and then upgrade when/if the 950 comes out.

4. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

I owned the AV-9000 for about 8-9 months before selling it to get the Lexicon MC-1. Despite not having DPL II or 5 channel stereo or anything beyond 5.1, it was a nice sounding piece. In many ways it was a better fit for our system than the MC-1.

Michael

5. Tam Nguyen

Tam Nguyen Extra

Kevin,
    the av9000 does have a 5.1 chnl input for thing like sacd or dvd-a. As you said, you "see only a center, sub woofer, and l/r surrounds" in their own space and not a L/R any where. Don't loose hope on this. Marantz shares these channels with the TV's audio input. This is the fact because I own one. So you can add a dvda or sacd later to spice up you listening experience.
    As for me with or without dpl-2 or 6.1 channels, i'll be happy with the av9000 since it does nicely with DTS and DD decoding for 5.1 system [​IMG] I however have problem with av9000 mate with the samson1000 directly, which produce the impedance mismatch that result in lost of spl.

6. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Kevin - I'll also add that I think the AV-9000 sounds *terrific*. I've got one mated to an Acurus A200x5 amp and find it to be a great combo. The Marantz produces a wonderfully deep and wide soundstage. I wouldn't consider myself an audiophile (ie, I'm not about to spend thousands on a tube preamp/amp combo for 2 channel listening) but I think the AV-9000 sounds absolutely fantastic on 2 channel sources as well as DD/DTS.

I'm very pleased and satisified with mine. There are a few online retailers selling them for around $1400 new, and there are a couple of pre-owned units listed on AudiogoN right now for around $1000. If you can find a deal on one I wouldn't hesitate to recommend that you snap it up.

7. Frank Cheh

Frank Cheh Extra

I have been using the AV9000/MM9000 for about a year and I still consider it to be one of the best systems out there. Forget about DPLII or any of the new wave features, THE SOUND is what counts. Also please note that according to page 8 fo the operators manual you need to select (6-CH) direct button on the remote also on page 42 you must setup input from the setup screen(2/2)display reads (6CH. DIRECT: select input.

8. Kevin Deacon

Kevin Deacon Second Unit

Thanks for all of the information. I decided to upgrade my CD player to a Sony C555ES before the pre/pro (I'm currently using the Marantz AV-550). Therefore, by the time I'm ready for a pre/pro I will probably have to consider the Outlaw 950. Thanks again.