1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Marantz AV-560 users, past/present

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Ma, May 24, 2002.

1. Robert Ma

Robert Ma Second Unit

Marantz AV-560 users, past/present

How is this preamp? How about compared to the av-9000?? I know it is outdated but it does have DD 5.1 and dts right?

I am currently using a SR-19 A/V Receiver as my preamp and may be able to get the 560 for $350 plus shipping. Is it worth it? I love the sound from my SR-19 preamped. But, I also love my SR-19 with its internal amps and want to pull it out for a second system.

I hope someone can jump in to vouch for it because I do not have a lot of time to decide. I am leaning towards taking it to hold me over for a while.

2. Mike Knapp

Mike Knapp Supporting Actor

Mike
    I dont think it will do DTS. I had the AV600, which I assume is the next model up the line (edit: apparantly I was wrong on this assumption) and it did NOT have DTS or DD capabilities, it required a separate DD decoder called the DP870 and still I had no DTS.

I would suggest waiting.

Mike

3. Mike Knapp

Mike Knapp Supporting Actor

Mike
    Oops, it looks like it does do DTS. At the price you stated it may well be a bargain. Marantz DSP's are really crappy though so i wouldnt count on using it for anything other than pure decoding.

Mike

4. Robert Ma

Robert Ma Second Unit

Thanks Mike,
    For some reason I thought you had the AV560, not the 600 but thanks for responding anyways.
    I pulled this from www.audioreviews.com description in their review section:
    Product Specifications
    AV-560 Dolby Digital/DTS Preamp/Processor
    I believe the 560 may have actually come out after the 600.
    Waiting is starting to make the most sense. If I knew it sounded just as good as my A/V preamped, I'd be all over this.
    ERRR, I wish I knew what marantz was going to do with a new preamp.
    Bob

5. Robert Ma

Robert Ma Second Unit

Mike,
    Must have posted right before me [​IMG]
    I am not big on DSP. So my only risk is it may not sound as good as my A/V Receiver pre-amped.
    Considering the SR-19 is very close to a MM-9000 (of course its not the same) I would be very interested in any input from someone who has heard both the AV-560 and MM-9000.
    I'm not trying to get a upgrade in sound. I would be satisfied in a lateral move freeing up my A/V receiver for my computer/xbox room.
    Bob