(Marantz) audio dropouts...is this normal?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by eddieZEN, Feb 1, 2005.

1. eddieZEN

eddieZEN Second Unit

My Marantz SR5400 will on rare random occasions have audio dropouts: about a half-second of silence in the middle of a DVD or CD. The most it's ever happened was twice within one DVD I was watching---nothing hugely annoying, but still makes me wonder.

I've heard some people say that digital dropouts are almost a given, others argue that it's a sign of a defective receiver.

What do you all think?

Of course the other thing my Marantz does that's annoying is that the remote often switches back into "Tuner" mode by itself so I have to hit "Amp" mode first in order to use the other functions such as changing DSP modes, etc. Not sure if this is by design or what.

Other than that I'm very happy with its sound performance, so am not looking to return it if I don't have to.

2. Kent Y

Kent Y Auditioning

I have used four different receivers (Marantz SR-19, Pioneer Elite VSX-33TX, Onkyo TX-DS777, and currently using Pioneer Elite VSX-56TXi) over the past four years or so, and I can't remember ever having an audio dropout with any of the four. I have been using a Panasonic DVD-RP62 DVD player for the past couple of years; I had a Pioneer Elite DV-05 prior to that. What model DVD player are you using, and how is it connected (optical or coax digital)?

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Unless there is a layer change, you should not have dropouts during a movie. I have an 8300 and I do get dropouts on VERY rare occasions when a disc is first loading, but I have never had a dropout during a movie, even during a layer change.

4. darrylCHER

darrylCHER Stunt Coordinator

Yamaha 5760 and have never had a drop out. Your post asks "if it's normal" I would say no.

Darryl

5. eddieZEN

eddieZEN Second Unit

Kent,

The DVD player is an el cheapo Panasonic DVD-S27K with a digital coaxial connection.

It used to be hooked up to a Sony component system and I never had audio dropouts on that, LOL.

However, the Panasonic was hooked up to the Sony system using analog outputs...do you think switching to coax might be the reason?

The thing is, it happens quite rarely and totally randomly. I could easily see myself shipping it back to Marantz and them not being able to find anything wrong with it and charging me for return shipping.

6. Kent Y

Kent Y Auditioning

Since you had the DVD player connected to the Sony receiver via the Panny's analog outputs, it's really hard to say if the problem lies with the DVD player or the Marantz. Do you know anyone with a HT setup, with which you could test the DVD player and coax digital cable that you are using?

As others have said, a layer change could cause an interruption of the audio; my Panasonic DVD player has had the occasional hiccup during a layer change, and audio will go out for a split second. Do you get any video breakup with the audio dropouts?

7. John Garcia

John
    Are you sure you're using a coaxial digital cable? The cable MUST be 75 Ohm. Have you tried replacing this cable or swapping it out for another one? I have heard of similar problems caused by bad cables.

Dropouts like this typically don't happen with analog, so that would be the most likely reason you didn't have the problem before.

8. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Supporting Actor

I've never had problems, either. I used a Sony until 3 months ago when I upgraded to a Marantz 7400. It works like a champ thus far through coax.

Doug

9. eddieZEN

eddieZEN Second Unit

Kent,

unfortunately no, I don't know anyone with an HT system I could experiment with. It would probably take HOURS before a dropout pops up though.

And no, there is no video breakup with the dropouts.

10. eddieZEN

eddieZEN Second Unit

John,

Well, it's just a plain coax cable that I got with my router, so I just went to Radio Shack and bought some $4 F-adapters and screwed them in.

But that's a thought, maybe I'll try out a more specialized audio coax cable:

How about this one?
    The picture shows a strange end, not sure if this is the right one.

or this one?
    This looks a little more like it.

11. eddieZEN

eddieZEN Second Unit

Doug,

I'm curious, does your 7400 have the same issue with the remote that mine does? (see bottom of initial post)

12. John Garcia

John
    You don't need a specialized cable, a shielded composite video cable will work fine, they are both built to the same basic spec.

AC4L's site doesn't permit links like that for some reason, but I've bought plenty of stuff from them.

www.partsexpress.com also carries AR pretty inexpensively.