What's new

Marantz and Polk Audio mix? (1 Viewer)

Paul Fa

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,
I am a music and movie lover who cannot consider himself a audiophile when compared to the majority of people posting here. I have not invested heavily in sound systems since before they were integrated with video systems. I enjoy my friends HomeTheatre systems and have spent a lot of time on this website and others, and in shops large and small to try and bolster my education and my ear. My intent is to start with and very good speaker system and a good to very good A/V reciever setup and add good components as my budget allows. I have a decent DVD player, CD player, VCR and TV to use for now. I am considering a Marantz 8200 receiver coupled with the Polk Audio LSi series speakers. Specifically, the LSi25 mains, the LSic center, the LSi FX (switchable dipole/bipole) surrounds and maybe the PSW650 subwoofer. Does anyone else have this setup or something very close? How do you like the 8200 with the PA's? Would a separate powered subwoofer be redundant with the 10" powered subwoofers built into the LSi25 mains? Any other ideas to consider? Thanks!

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
Paul,
Sounds like a very nice system! I opted to go with the Lsi-15's and a Sunfire sub. The bass in the 15's is passive and works just fine with 2 channel sources, I added the sub for LFE reproduction during movie/multichannel playback.
Would a separate powered subwoofer be redundant with the 10" powered subwoofers built into the LSi25 mains?
Having heard the 25's for 2 channel only I would have to pass on answering that one, maybe the thing to do is try the Lsi's without a seperate sub in your home and see how it works. You can always add a sub later.

Paul Fa

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Frank,
Thanks for the input! I may have to try and demo a pair of the 25's without the separate subwoofer before I spend that much money on something I may not really like/need.

To the collective: Am I right in thinking that I can enable/disable the separate subwoofer through settings on the 8200 (either via crossover or other predetermined/ customized settings)? That would allow me the choice to use the subwoofers in the mains for some applications and the separate LFE subwoofer for the really tough stuff - or should I just do like Frank did and get mains with passive bass and run all LFE and deep bass stuff through a separate subwoofer?

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
If you select Source Direct, the Marantz sends everything to the Mains exclusively (setting them to Large), bypassing the LFE, Centre, and Surrounds, even if you have set the Mains to Small in the Setup menu. Switching Source Direct to "Off" returns the speaker settings to the way you have them set up in the menu, and sends the LFE to the Sub (provided you have set Sub = "Yes"). This works great for me, since I like to listen to music using my tower speakers only, and watch movies & TV with the Sub active.

However, if you are interested in changing speaker size settings while listening to DD, DTS or other surround program on the fly, there is no quick way to do this other than going through the menu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks