Marantz amps

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EarleD, Aug 25, 2001.

1. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

How does the MA700 sound compared to the B&K reference line. Would they work well together? I am using a B&K 4420 to power my mains and would like to use a another amp to power the center channel.
    Thanks
    Earle

2. Brian_J

Brian_J Second Unit

They were just discontinued so you better figure that out fast. Personally, I like the MA700's and others sware by them.
    Brian
    ------------------
    Zed's Dead Baby...

3. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I have heard that they are fairly decent. High power into 8 and 4 ohms. Check audioreview.com for some reviews. I would pick them up if I could. They are possible to find as demo units as well.

4. Steve_D

Steve_D Second Unit

Don't do it. Been there done that, I then unhooked the Marantz so fast your head would spin.
    The Marantz is a POS compared to the B&K. I had an EX4420 powering my L/R, and purchased some MA500's to use for the other 3 channels. They were so dull and lifeless in comparison I immediately hooked those channels back up to my Denon 3801. Put it this way, my wife heard the difference!
    Anyway, since I was using an MA700 to power my sub, I thought well let's try it on the center, using an older B&K amp for my sub. The 700 was as bad as the 500's in comparison to the B&K. I could not beleive there was that much difference in well regarded amps. Again, let me re-iterate...my wife heard it!
    My solution? I purchased 2 Reference 4420's...I use one for the sub and center, the other for L/R. Since it's a dual mono design I don't see any issues with running a sub and center off the same amp.
    Now I have an MA700 for sale, already sold the MA500's
    ------------------
    http://www.sdiver.org
    [Edited last by Steve_D on August 26, 2001 at 01:14 AM]

5. Ben Rogers

Ben Rogers Stunt Coordinator

Hey Earle
    The Marantz Ma 700 sounds much cleanner and bring any note of piano close to you. I got 5 of these for my speakers. AT first I bought the B&K 7250 reference 200 watts x 5 channels but sold it cheaply to get the MA 700. The B&K sound dull to me.B& K is good to power subwoofer though

6. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

WOW talk about different thoughts on the amp.
    Any more thoughts?
    Steve, I sent you a email

7. KevinHunt

KevinHunt Stunt Coordinator

The MA500s(now MA6100) are still stereophile classA rated. And they've improved the output stages on the newer models. Still no announced replacement for the 700. Should show up soon. Just because Steve doesn't like them doesn't mean you won't. They are good little amps. Depends on what other electronics and equipment you are using. Yet again, someone who jumps in to bash rather than offering that they didn't work well in his setup and he prefereed the B&K.
    ------------------
    -Kevin
    [Edited last by KevinHunt on August 26, 2001 at 12:29 PM]

8. Bruce Abar

Bruce Abar Stunt Coordinator

I use two MA700's for my mains. Even with the top rated Denon 4800, the MA700's sound better then the Denon Ampts. Them mains opened up, the highs became clear and the whole system sounded better, now I have to get one for my center.
    ------------------
    Bruce
    www.dvdtracker.com/~bruceabar.asp

9. Steve_D

Steve_D Second Unit

LOL
    I love how my opinion gets attacked by people who have never listened to their system with a Ref 4420 (the 7250 is not close to the same), nor done direct A/B testing Marantz/B&K in their own system, nor brought in an audio newbie and done testing in which that person could clearly hear a difference.
    I wanted to like the Marantz due to their cost advantage, Stereophile (Class C last time I checked BTW) recommendation, and flexibility. In fact, I have owned 4 of those amps.
    ------------------

10. Ben Rogers

Ben Rogers Stunt Coordinator

Steve
    What are you talking about? The B&K 7250 is the new amp than the 4420 and I did compare the B&K 7250 against the Ma 700.

11. David Werner

David Werner Stunt Coordinator

12. KevinHunt

KevinHunt Stunt Coordinator

Steve> Nobody is bashing your opinion. You are right, I have never listened to any B&K amps. Marantz monoblocks are generally widely liked and used by many enthusiasts and audiophiles and have a rather good rep. Simply calling them a POS is just silliness. You didn't like them and preferred the B&K. That's all you have to say, and your opinion will be respected w/o criticism. Brand bashing across the board is just stupid, unless of course it truly is a POS. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    -Kevin

13. Steve_D

Steve_D Second Unit

Ben,
    200 watt 5 channel amp = Ref 7250, product made for the HT world.
    225 Watt 2 Channel amp = Ref 4420, product made for the 2 channel, audiophile world
    But, regardless if you think the MA is a good amp, the question was should I add a Marantz to my B&K? Well, since you are saying how much better the Marantz is over the B&K, the answer would still be no! Center channel amp matching is almost as important as speaker matching. SO you are proposing someone should add a center channel with much different tonal characteristics (according to both of us, regardless of whose side you are on)?
    I am saying he should add another B&K. There is no wiggle room on this question. If he is happy with the B&K sound, which apparently he is, than he should add a B&K amp for the center. If he is not happy with his B&K, then perhaps he should look at replacing all 3 across the front.
    Kevin,
    Cool, sorry I spent a lot of time, money, and energy on this exact scenario in my own system.. IMHO I don't see how the Marantz MA's are held in such high regard, therefore, in my book, they get the POS rating [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Steve_D on August 26, 2001 at 11:32 PM]