Marantz advertising in S&V mag

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ArnaudP, Dec 11, 2001.

1. ArnaudP

ArnaudP Stunt Coordinator

I just received my Jan 2002 issue oof Sound and Vision mag and there is an ad by Marantz for the SR9200. I am a little bit surprised to see that Marantz is still doing business with S&V mag after the poor review of the SR7200 they wrote a few months back. I never saw any official response from Marantz or S&V mag.

2. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

Well, I dont know SR7200. If it was inferior, then it got what it deserved. Is it a good receiver? What issue was it in?

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I would hope that Marantz would simply think to themselves that S&V found a problem that they need to fix, then fix it. I wouldn't view Marantz with the admiration that I do now, if they pulled advertising because of a fault with their receiver.

All S&V did was test it.

4. Jeffrey G

Jeffrey G Agent

You mean S&V had something negative to say about a product? That's a first. I thought they were so scared of loosing advertising that they wouldn't say anything negative. I've let my subscription run out because I began to feel like they weren't telling the whole story about products that they review.

5. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Jeffrey,you must not read S&V frequently or carefuly,or both!

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Jeffrey- You are correct in that they rarely say negative things about products, but by the same token, if you compare reviews done on similar equipment, you still can definately tell which particular piece they liked better.

Plus, if you look at their "blurb" summaries for each piece o' equipment, if all the "negatives" are B.S./non-meaningful items vs real bonafide gripes, bingo, you still can draw conclusions from that.

And, you gots to read the measurements box with an eagle eye. The Marantz receiver was an easy read, but you also can spot subpar CD performance in a DVD player if you know what to look for too (although they typically point that out anyway).

S&V has gotten *lighter* over the years compared to Stereo Review and Audio, but gee, SGHT (and others) still present almost no actual equipment measurements compared to S&V.

7. Jeffrey G

Jeffrey G Agent

You're right Lewis. I should have read it more carefully, I guess. I picked up this month's issue and tried to do better. I was especially impressed with their article on the Bose Mini DVD System. But now I'm kind of confused. All I've heard on the HTF is what a piece of crap and how overpriced everything Bose has made is, but S&V is so impressed with this product that they put on the cover "The Amazing Bose Mini DVD System". So who's being honest and unprejudiced, S&V or the people on the Forum who dog Bose out at every chance?

8. Bob_M

Bob_M Stunt Coordinator

>but S&V is so impressed with this product that they put on the cover <

They put all their reviewed units on each cover but I know what you mean. Did you notice they did not put the Bose in the labs. I wonder why? Bob

9. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Just what I've sad already,and you still not reading it carefully!

If you have read it carefully,you would have noticed that the Bose Review was a "User Report"not a "test report",the reason why no "In The Lab" section by DR,or DK.

Also most if not all User reports are done by contributing writers ,rather then the regular editors/writers.

Also just because this guy liked it,that doesn't make anyone a lyer here or anywhere else.I personally don't care for Bose products,but I do understand that there is a market for it,and S&V reckognise this,however it shouldn't reflect bad on them when it comes to anything else!