What's new

Marantz 8400 and Lexicon RT-10- the same? (1 Viewer)

TerryPM

Agent
A Marantz dealer told me that the Lexicon RT-10 is exactly the same as the Marantz 8400 except for the faceplate. I was under the impression that the Lexicon had upgraded DACs- at least more than a different faceplate for an extra $2K. Anyone know the facts and specs?

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I doubt that is true: the Lex is a $3500 player and the 8400 is maybe $1600 list.

What is true, is that *both* players are based on the Pioneer DV-47a. Chroma bug and all.

As these players get reviewed by the mags and such, I imagine that the differences will become clear. I would be willing to bet they do have different DACs anyway. Marantz has Cirrus, but Lexicon typically uses Analog Devices or AKM (the MC-12 and MC-8 respectively anway.)

FWIW, I believe that the 8400 weighs in at about 15 lbs, and the RT-10 is 17.2. So they may have more in common that you'd think, but they are definately not the same player. (Unless the faceplate adds exactly what the difference in weight is! :) )

gregD

Second Unit

That is absolutely stupefying!,,, (if true -- is that confirmed?)

How can Lex roll out a $3500 box -- which is obviously targeted at systems with hi-def TVs -- with a visible defect that's been publicly kicked around for TWO YEARS???

Somebody -- somewhere -- had better come up with an idiot-proof (and I mean with a digital interface!) universal player pretty soon, or we can all kiss hi-res good-bye...I refuse to buy (and upgrade) any of this until I see a $1k player that does it right... one that will last 5-10 years.

Those DTS layers don't sound so bad after all...

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
The Denon 2900 is close...
Except for the major omission of a DVI output!

Like Greg said, we need a true universal player with DVI output that does it right. If the Marantz 8400 has the Chroma bug (and it looks like it will), the wait continues....

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I guess, personally, I don't see the benefit of a DVI output.
I assume that you do not have a digital front projector (such as DLP).

People that are running this combination indicate a very definite improvement in video quality. The picture is much cleaner with fewer artifacts which normally result from the analog/digital conversion. Since DVI is all digital, the video signal remains in the digital domain without any a/d conversion, thus fewer artifacts.

Even the $200.00 V Inc. Bravo D1 with DVI shows significant improvement in video quality over much more expensive DVD players that don't have DVI output.

You can check out this thread for a lengthy discussion on the benefits of DVI output to a digital projector.

There is no doubt that DVI output is the video connection to beat when it comes to picture quality (at least with digital display devices).

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Re DVI: learned something new. :) But I also know you can't record from that output either. Yet, I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks