What's new

Marantz 8200 or SVS - which to buy first? (1 Viewer)

Tom_Mack

Stunt Coordinator
I am either going to buy an SVS 20-39 sub or a Marantz 8200 receiver for Christmas. Which would be the best to get first? Which should have the most impact on my system?

Right now, my system consists of:

Paradigm Monitor 7s

Paradigm CC-370

Paradigm Mini-monitors

Paradigm PDR-10 sub

Yamaha RX-V596 receiver

My main concerns with my system are:

--2-channel music listening is bright and not as musical as I would like.

--Appx. 7-10 db drop in mid bass from 85hz - 180. (result from bright sound?)

--My sub now is OK for now but I will be moving into a larger room by January (room will be 20 ft by 15 ft).

--A more musical sub/ high impact movie sub sure would be nice!

So what would you do in my situation? Will going with the new receiver make music sound THAT much better than adding the new sub would make with the bass? Thanks!!

Martice

Screenwriter
Hi Tom. Since you say that your music sounds bright I don't think a sub is going to help with your musical listening experience when it comes to the upper ranges of the sound spectrum. If your system is bright sounding and unpleasant with the receiver being the culprit, that's just how it sounds and there's nothing you can reeally do about it.
Since you have a sub already and it's ok for now but not up to the task of your room to come in the near future, I would invest my money in a 2-channel amp and take care of those 2-channel blues once and for all, that's if you receiver has pre outs. Infact, you can find a very good second hand 2-channel amps for half the price of the Marantz and have change for that SVS you currently long for. You can take advantage of the processing in your present receiver while enjoying the benefits of a good 2-channel amp for music and get your sub at the same time.
If your receiver doesn't allow for seperate amplification, I would go for the receiver since it's the most expensive of the two and you already have a sub that's holding it's own until you move.
Go here for an idea of amps you can get:
Audiogon
This should give you an idea of what to look for and maybe purchase.
Good Luck.

James_T

Stunt Coordinator
Tom,
As you said, your 2-channel music is bright and not as "musical" as you would like. If this is your biggest concern, then definitely go for the receiver first. I went from a Kenwood receiver to a Marantz last year for my Paradigm speakers, and the difference was enormous of course. This year I made the step up from a Paradigm PDR-12 to an SVS 20-39PC and while I am a step closer to my dream system, the difference was no where near as dramatic as the receiver upgrade.
Or you could find some retailer that sells Denon in your vicinity (the Wiz stores in NY do) and buy the Denon 3802 with a 12-month no interest option, pay for that later and buy the SVS right now. :)

Martice

Screenwriter
Although these are all opinions, I can't encourage going in to debt to anyone. Although the Denon and the Marantz are known to have good sound as receivers, to me the cost doesn't justify the purchase, especially if you have to go into debt for it. If you have to go into debt for it it may not be worth it to buy it. If you enjoy music in 2-channel then I don't think that many here would disspute the fact that seperate 2-channel amps are the way to go for cost effective musical upgrade. If you feel that the "all in one" route with receivers is best for you and worth the extra money and maybe even going in debt for, go for it. However, I would like to let you know that it's really not that expensive to upgrade your 2 channel experience and more times than not, better quality amplification than what you get with an "affordable" receiver.

Example: I purchased my B&K REF4420 2-channel amp for $450.00 second hand over at Audiogon.

James_T

Stunt Coordinator
Martice,
I agree with you that a 2-channel amp can make a difference as well. One thing I think Tom should specify is if he is looking to upgrade any other features with this purchase, such as DPL2, and other extra surround modes. I'm not encouraging him to go into debt, but rather offering an additional possibility he may not have considered. I've had some positive experiences with such instant-gratification schemes. :)
As for amp choices, I'd be careful here. I haven't had much experience myself with external amps, but I can see Tom purchasing one, getting more head-room and maybe some improvements in bass, but still with a bright sound he does not enjoy. Oh, and make sure the 596 has preouts first. :)

Martice

Screenwriter
I get your point Tom. However, the risk is the same as if he purchases a receiver that sounds thin or cold or anything that his ears find unpleasant. I think this strategy of a high price receiver is more risky because if he doesn't like the sound of the receiver he has to get rid of his total receiver, features and all. Factor in the recievers he's talking about, he now has to spend more money for a receiver with comparable performance with features to boot. The cost of a second hand amp is peanuts to the cost of admission for a receiver that would rival the sound of a comparable external amp.

I guess it's just a matter of choice for the buyer but I'll vote seperates 90% percent of the time when looking for good power providing headroom and control.

Tom_Mack

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you for the responces!

Yes the Yamaha has outputs, but the new features such as PLII, DTS-ES, and 5 channel stereo really intrigue me. To do the seperates I would have to go the 5 amp direction because I hate tonal differences between speakers and I do listen to some 5 channel music. Having great sounding mains and bright sounding center and surrounds would drive me nuts.

I liked the warm sound of the Marantz receivers when I heard the 6200 last week with a pair of Monitor 9s. I am assuming that the 8200 will sound that much better. Pro-Logic on the Yamaha is even brighter that 2 channel and I would look forward to having PLII with the warmer amps.

I am still worried about the sub. The problem is, in my current configuration, there is no room for the sub up front with my mains, so it is next to my couch. I get bass down to about 30hz and loud in that position, but in other parts of the room the bass isn't nearly as loud or deep. The sub is only set at about 35-40% volume level. This was set with AVIA. When I move to the new theater room, the sub will be up front and because it will be further away, the volume will obviously need to be higher. I'm worried that the PDR-10 will not be up to the job of filling a 15' by 20' room from up front.

Martice

Screenwriter
I see what you're saying Tom. However, I don't think different amps in HT make as big a difference as some people believe it does. I do think that quality amplification is much more important if it matches or not all around or not.

Good Luck with whatever choice you make.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks