Marantz 7400 vs 5600 which should I buy

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by dougGR, Feb 22, 2006.

1. dougGR

dougGR Auditioning

I'm currently replacing a 10 year old Marantz 2ch stereo receiver. Have enjoyed the Marantz sound while paired with Paradigm bookshelf speakers and some future surround speakers (probably paradigm as well, although open to suggestions). I mostly listen to music although one reason for the upgrade is to enjoy surround movies in the future. Looking for best sound while not spending a lot of $$$ and enough options/connectability that it will last the next 10years like my last one.

Debate:
    "refurbished" model 7400 vs. "new" 5600.

Questions:
    Does the 7400 offer lip synch? I don't need this now, just don't want to have to upgrade should I require this in another 3 years.

Anything the 7400 doesn't have that the 5600 does or vice versa?

What upgrades have been made to the 5600 over the 2 year old 7400.

Any reason not to go with a refurbished 7400?

Anyone auditioned them back to back? Difference in sound quality? Obviously its a little hard to audition a 7400 in the stores given its been replaced by the 7500 which is too much $$$.

Like the 7400 remote and power more.

Anything else I should consider when evaluating these two? Thanks for the suggestions.

2. Jongyoon Lee

Jongyoon Lee Stunt Coordinator

7500 is only $120 more than 7400 at accessories4less. I think it's worth it to stretch the budget for 7500. It has four component inputs, MRAC, both very useful features. It's also THX certified, which may or may not appeal to you. Best of all it has cleaner look with the front door closed. [​IMG]

3. dougGR

dougGR Auditioning

The 7400 is already $90 more than I want to spend so to be honest that is my stretch. What major changes were there from the 7400 to the 7500?

Thanks for the reply.

4. DavidSGT

DavidSGT Stunt Coordinator

Hi Doug,

IMO I would go for the 7400 if only for the extra watts, there is never too much headroom where power is concerned but of course that's just me

Regards.
    DavidSGT

5. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Supporting Actor

I have the 7400, and can tell you it doesn't have lip synch feature. I can't answer any of your other questions.

I like the sound and most of the features of the 7400. One small nitpick: when switching on 7.1 input (say, to listen to SACD), and the receiver was on an input (e.g. DSS) which is defaulted to a surround mode like DPL II Movie, that surround mode is switched off when you turn 7.1 off again. Not a big deal; I just have to push the Dolby button again to switch back to DPL II Movie.

Doug

PS The 7400 does run quite hot. I have it in a cabinet, and have to remember not to leave it on too long, but so far it hasn't caused any problems.

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Doug,

That heat issue is a known one for most of the x400 line, and it should be resolved by your dealer fairly easily.

I agree with DavidSGT, the 7400 has much more headroom than the 5600 will, though you will be giving up some of the latest features. I'd still go for the additional power though.

I'd have to say I would try or wait to stretch the budget for the 7500 also. It has a better amp section than the 7400, better chassis and MRAC as Jongyoon mentioned.

I have listened to the 7400 in a shop, and I have installed the 5300 and 5400 for customers. The power difference is noticable. I currently run an 8300 and couldn't be happier.

7. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

As usual I'd have to agree with John on this. I have the 5400 and am very happy with it, a friend has the 7400 and I do like it a little better. If you can't save up the xtra $ for the 7500, go with the 7400 over the 5600. My 5400 also originally got way too hot, my local dealer fixed that for me though.

8. John Garcia

John
    I'm guessing we are talking about AC4L for the refurb? If so, I've used them a number of times and I have had no issues with anything I've bought from them and their customer service was very good.

They are selling brand new 7400s for $699, which means a full 3yr warranty vs 1yr with a refurb.

9. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

When you say that your dealer fixed the heat problem, what did he do? Why is that even necessary?

10. John Garcia

John
    I believe there is a potentiometer or something that is manually adjustable on one of the boards and that determines how the amp section behaves. It being set wrong isn't something they would necessarily check for because it isn't a defect, so some may be set wrong on some units. The 7400 I auditioned had this issue because it was very hot even while just sitting idle. It isn't a short term issue, but it may be a long term one, shortening the life of the unit because heat is one of the main enemies of electronics. Heat within the amp section is also a negative because heat is the #1 byproduct of this type of amplifier and if the heatsinks are already saturated, they won't be able to shed heat as effectively - meaning less headroom.

11. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    Not to mention refurb 8400's for $749. I was thinking of an H/K 635 for $635 but that 8400 has me re-thinking.

12. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Supporting Actor

John, thanks for warning me again about the heat (I've been procrastinating since you mentioned it about 6 months ago). I didn't know it was fixable.

Do you think any reputable audio repair shop could do it, or should I find a Marantz authorized shop?

I'll still put it off for a while, though. I'd hate to have to climb in that armoire and pull everything apart. I'll do it when I move to a smaller cabinet.

Thanks and best,
    Doug

13. John Garcia

John
    I hear you, my receiver and all the connections are easy to get to, but I really don't want to have to think about having to disconnect and reconnect all of those connections...

If I am not mistaken, there is only one Marantz service center somewhere back east. I don't know if it has to be sent in or not though. As long as it isn't cutting out or thermally shutting down, I'd say you could still put it off for a while [​IMG]