What's new

Marantz 7400 driving 4 ohms? (1 Viewer)

JackRenaldi

Auditioning
I am in the proccess of purchasing an AV Receiver and 5.1 surrounds. Of the electronics that I've heard so far, I really like the Marantz line, specifically the SR7400. The speakers I'm looking at are the M&K 850's with the 850 center, 650 surrounds and either the 850 or 1250 sub. I have 2 questions....First, I really don't need the 7.1 capabilities of the SR7400, I'll have a difficult enough time squeezing in the 5 speakers into my room, so would I be better off with possibly a SR7300cse? Are there sonic differences between the two? Also after reading various forum entries, I'm concerned about the SR7400s ability to drive the 850s(4 ohm speakers). Does anyone currently have this combo? Thanks.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I find it strange that M&K doesn't list sensitivity for these speakers, since that could be a factor. All of Marantz' receivers are listed as 6 Ohm minimum, however I have an 8300 with similar sized 4 Ohm mains, and it drove them surprisingly well. I have a large room, and 2ch was getting compressed when I cranked it, so I did move my mains to monoblocks. The 7300 OSE has basically the same power supply as the 8200/8300 as well as a copper clad chassis, and I would say it would be my choice over the 7400. Now, these speakers are -3dB at 80Hz also, so I think either of these receivers will be able to drive them to respectable levels without distortion.

JackRenaldi

Auditioning
John, thanks for the reply.That at least answers the question of the receivers being able to drive the M&Ks.As to the wiser choice of going 7400 vs. 7300ose...Is there any sonic difference between the two? I know from reading the posts that the 7400 can run hot and the 7300s can have the hi-freq noise problem. What, flip a coin? Has anyone ever A/B'd the two receivers? I'd at least like to think I spent the extra $300-$400 more on an older piece because it sounded better, rather than it has more impressive specs or looks better on paper...Your thoughts???

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have not heard the 7400 yet, but the OSE is a fine piece. The biggest difference between them, sound wise, is most likely going to be the DACs. The OSE uses the same 24 bit DACs as the 8200, though in a slightly different configuration I believe, while the 7400 has new 32 bit DACs. My feeling is to go with the most power for the $$, which would mean the OSE in this case, however what I found when I added the monoblocks to my setup, I got a very noticable increase in performance, so my recommendation would be to get whichever you can get for less, and think about adding amps down the road. You should be able to get the OSE for about the same price as the 7400 though.

What is your budget? Accessories for Less (www.ac4l.com) is currently offering the 6300+MM9000 5ch amp for $1150 (look under receivers), which is a VERY good deal in my book (that's less than I paid for my 8300, and is more power, heck I would have gone for it!). You'll need a few more interconnects, but I think it would make a great setup. I've bought from them in the past, and I have no problem recommending them.

I have to point out also that I have yet to hear a 7300 with the high pitch noise that some have complained about.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I am running 4ohm dynaudios full-range for 2-channel off a 5300 with no problem. I don't see there an issue with a 7400, and if you use crossover for movies, you should be ok.

JackRenaldi

Auditioning
John...Thanks for the advice. I think I'll opt for the 7400 due to price and consider upgrading to separate amplification later.I can get a 7400 on the internet for around $750 or so, which seems pretty reasonable to me.The more I can pour into speakers at this point, the better.Now it's just a matter of finding a reputable Online dealer...

Blaine_M

Second Unit
If you get a 7400 and it runs too hot take it in to your local service center, they can adjust the idle so it doesn't run so hot. I just bought a SR 5400, it was running way too hot, they told me that some of them were coming with that current set too high. I would assume the same for the 7400. One other model you might consider is the 6400, I'm sure it can drive your speakers just fine, especially if you have a powered sub handling some of the low end. Seems the real advantage to jumping up to the 7400 is the video conversion to component video, other than that I don't think the power upgrade is that much. Oh yeah, the 7400 does have a cooler remote though!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks