Marantz 7300ose vs. Rotel RSX-1055

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Ryan_MF, Apr 21, 2003.

1. Ryan_MF

Ryan_MF Stunt Coordinator

I did some more auditioning today and I'm down to two choices: Marantz 7300ose or the Rotel 1055. Anyone have thoughts on either of those two pieces - good or bad? Is Rotel a better brand than Marantz?

2. Ryan_MF

Ryan_MF Stunt Coordinator

So, in light of the problems pointed out in the 7300 thread, would it be wiser to go with the Rotel? Someone had mentioned noise problems for the Rotel as well - can you elaborate?

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

There's no noise problem with the Rotels...at least none that I've ever come across in the Club Rotel. The Rotel also has fantastic support, a huge user community, is upgradeable, sounds amazing and IMO looks better then the Marantz. Its not that I don't like Marantz (I'm actualyl quite fond of them) but I wouldn't trade my Rotel for one.

4. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I've owned Marantz receivers in the distant past and really liked them, but I, like Andrew, would choose the Rotel not only because I own and love a Rotel product, but because I really get upset over misleading power ratings. The Marantz 7200, which is advertised to put out, I think, 100 watts per channel times six channels, only tested out at 29 watts/channel into five channels. The Rotel 1065, rated at 100 watts/channel X's 5 channels, actually exceeded the rating when tested (105 watts/channel with 5 channels being driven simultaneously).

I know these are different receivers than the two you're talking about, but I would personally take them as possible indicators of other products in the line.

As far as I know, the main problem facing the Rotel 1055 is the double bass issue with analog multi-channel play. Although this has been addressed on the 1066 pre/pro, I don't think it yet has on the 1055. Nonetheless, taking everything into consideration, I'd choose the Rotel hands down.