What's new

Marantz 7300 (1 Viewer)

Doug Smith

Second Unit
Just uopgraded from a 5200 (picked it up on the weekend). The sound is basically the same, but there's more bells and whistles - impressed with the CS II (incorporates all six speakers unlike the DPLII). Had to turn my sub way down - much more access to bass management. However in automatic setting it doesn't seem to pick up the Dolby EX flag - even on the new Star Wars movie. Anyone else have this problem?

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Doug,

Thanks for the "mini" review on the 7300. I'm interested on how the CS II incorporates all six speakers where DPL II didn't. Could you explain this a little better.

I'm sorry to hear the receiver isn't picking up the Dolby EX flag. I thought I read about another receiver from another manufacturer having this problem, but I can't recall which one and what work-around was provided.

Doug Smith

Second Unit
My 5200 didn't have circle surround - it was thrown in at the 6200 level. The 7300 circle surround kicks in the rear surround speaker for a 6.1 effect. The DTS neo does this as well. DPL II only uses the 5.1 scheme. The circle surround II seems particularly impressive with T.V. broadcasts.
Another interesting upgrade from the 5200 is the 7.1 inputs (eg. for DVD A, etc.). You can now adjust these levels individually (ie. bass is sometimes an issue with DVD A). In fact there are all sorts of ways you can tweak your bass on this model. I guess they listened to past complaints. The remote is better than the 5200's, but nothing to write home about. (eg. doesn't light up, the navigation arrows are pushed in a rather unique way, etc. - I think I'll put everything onto my new Toshiba remote which is much more user friendly).
Lets face it - Marantz receivers are not that user friendly, and most dealers will tell you this. And the warmth of the sound is pretty much the same as the old 5200. What you get are all these new toys built in. By the way some of the old DSP's are now history (eg. stadium, movie, matrix, etc.) but if you are into a lot of DSP's you'll probably buy a Yamaha anyways.

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
Doug,

Please clarify: the 7.1 inputs for DVD-A/SACD have adjustable bass? Do you mean that the inputs are affected by the "Large" or "Small" option in the general Setup menu, or is it a separate menu item, having its own "Direct" or "Large/Small"?

Also, I have found that using "Source Direct" improves the sound of my 6200, but at the cost of defeating bass management. This was true of the 7200 and 5200 as well, as many people with these units have confirmed. Have you noticed a sound quality difference with the 7300 in this regard?

NickSP

Supporting Actor
Doug, I don't think the "Episode-II" has a DD-EX flag so don't worry about it. I don't get it on my DA4ES either.

Doug Smith

Second Unit
You can directly adjust each channel in the 8 channel direct inputs. The 7300 allows you to go in and adjust each channel individually - I,ve never seen anything like it. I guess a pure audiophile might criticize this, in that once adjusted, the sound is no longer "pure". eg. with a DVD A player the music is decoded by that player and passed on to the receiver which then directly ouputs that sound. Now an adjustment can be made through the receiver. I'm certainly no expert, but it could be coming from the complaints revolving around bass level when listening to DVD A. By the way this new 7300 does not allow you to access the receiver's internal on screen menu through component jacks - only through the composites and S-video. Which kind of makes looping your component jacks through the receiver useless, and makes adjusting your audio channels from a DVD tuneup disc difficult, in that you must continully switch back to another output. I'm assuming this is because they wanted to keep the component output as clear as possible (?) I know that there were problems with the internal menus in the X200 series from personal experience.

Steve Winkler

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, if this means bass mangement for sources like DVD Audio or SACD, this receiver could be the one for me. I've not yet delved into those formats as my current receiver does not have the analog inputs required. Helps make speaker purchase easier too, maybe a guy doesn't have to worry about buying more of a "full range" type of speaker, just concentrate on ones that deliver the best midrange and highs if you have a capable sub already.

Keep up the review on this Doug.

Thanks,

Steve

Jack_Geo

Stunt Coordinator
Doug:

I was looking through the manual for any references of bass management / individual crossover settings on the 7.1 inputs and couldn't find any. Can you point me in the right direction?

I did, however, see where you can adjust the speaker dB level for each speaker...is that possibly what you're referring to in your earlier posts?

If this piece has (had?) bass management like the HK 525 I'd jump on it in a second. I still might...

Thanks!

Jack

MWestyn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
Mine is due hear today...I'll take a look at it and see what I can find.
Can't wait to get home:)

Doug Smith

Second Unit
To Jack -
You're absolutely right - thats what running through the menus quickly gets you. It does allow you to adjust each speaker db level individually in 7.1 - which in itself is interesting isn't it? Does the multi-channel stereo have no access to the subwoofer? That would be a shame.

Cary P

Stunt Coordinator
You can directly adjust each channel in the 8 channel direct inputs. The 7300 allows you to go in and adjust each channel individually - I've never seen anything like it. I guess a pure audiophile might criticize this, in that once adjusted, the sound is no longer "pure". eg. with a DVD A player the music is decoded by that player and passed on to the receiver which then directly ouputs that sound. Now an adjustment can be made through the receiver.
I was able to do the same thing with both the Marantz SR7000 and SR7200 - make adjustments to the channel levels on the multi-channel input. So I don't think this is a new feature.
As a matter of fact, when I discovered this feature of the Marantz 7XXX series I posted a question to the HTF on how this was possible without an A/D to D/A conversion:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ghlight=Cary+P
Perhaps the multi-channel inputs on Marantz receivers are not exactly source-direct inputs? I was never able to get to the bottom of this question.
Steve, please note that this feature is not exactly fully functional bass management. There is still no easy way to control crossover frequency on the multi-channel input. But it is nice to be able to trim or boost the subwoofer level as needed, so this feature is better than nothing.
I don't think we will get correct, "pure" bass management of multi-channel inputs on receivers until the whole fiasco on hi-rez digital input/output is resolved, if ever. I've kind of learned to live without it for now, the whole thing is a little overblown, IMO.
I'd rather have no bass management on the multi-channel input than an incorrect, double-bass solution like on the recent Outlaw and Rotel pre-pro's. I returned the otherwise satisfactory Rotel 1066 because of this mistake.
I'm supposed to pick up the new Marantz 7300 tomorrow afternoon, looking forward to playing with it over the weekend.
Cary

Jack_Geo

Stunt Coordinator
Even though there isn't "true bass management"...or even the bastardized b.m. that some of the others have, I think this is a tremendous piece of equipment. It may be a Merry Christmas to me!

What kind of prices are you guys getting the 7300 for? I think saw that Marantz dropped the MSRP from $999 to $899...it would be nice to pick one up for under $700, though I'm probably dreaming.

Jack

Cary P

Stunt Coordinator
Jack,

My dealer in the Bay Area is offering it for $899. I didn't know the MSRP had been reduced, I figured the dealer's $899 price was discounted $100, oh well. I'm not complaining though, because I was able to use a $50 off coupon, plus a store credit from when I traded in my SR7200 for a future upgrade.

The 7300 has everything I need for home theater (except Logic 7 and THX Ultra 2 processing for when I eventually get 7 speakers), so I feel it is a great value even at full MSRP. This piece will be it for me for quite awhile, unless Marantz finally comes out with a new pre-pro to replace the AV9000. I'll be using the 7300 strictly as a HT pre-pro, and I don't see anything that can compete at it's price point.

I have seen the 7300 for $699 from some unauthorized dealers on the web, but I didn't want to go that route.

Cary

Jack_Geo

Stunt Coordinator
Cary:

Don't quote me on that $899 price...I seem to recall having read that, but as much as I've been reading / researching this stuff lately, all the numbers are getting jumbled.

In any event, I'm sure you'll enjoy your purchase. I'm gonna see how the Christmas budget shakes out before I pull the trigger.

By the way, what were those "unauthorized" dealer sites? They might be helpful if I can't get my dealer to haggle.

Take care, and enjoy the Marantz!

Jack

Doug Smith

Second Unit
In Canada I picked it up for around 1200 CAN. - which should come in around the 700 to 800 mark in U.S. Dollars. Mind you I bought it with a T.V. and three speakers so the price dropped a bit. By the way whats the usual break in time for an amp? And what can I expect in the way of change?

Cary P

Stunt Coordinator
Jack,
The two unauthorized sites I've seen discussed are:
http://www.sounddistributors.com/buy...t_name=Marantz
http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/i...ubCatID=7&p=bg
It's kind of funny that they are both located in Vegas, which would've been convenient for me. Nevertheless, I decided to buy from my dealer in the SF Bay Area because of their one year upgrade policy on electronics.
I go back and forth between Las Vegas and the Bay Area regularly, and it was worth the extra expense to keep my upgrade options open.
Cary

MWestyn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
I just got mine from AcousticSoundDesign.com

No problems, works great. I think they covered up the original serial # with their own sticker and there seems to be a sticker torn off from the bottom.

Either way I got a great receiver for $699 (+$29 for shipping), and the warranty is backed by the company so if you have problems, send it back to them instead of Marantz.

Anyway, I think it's a fine deal if you're budget is a little tighter but you don't want to compromise quality.

Another option is buying a refurbed SR8200 for $999 from accessories4less.com

Happy shopping.

Steve_Corrick

Stunt Coordinator
FWIW, I upgraded from an Outlaw 1050. I just received and hooked my 7300 up on Wed ($699.00 from A-S-D.com) First I threw in a few movies I know pretty well (LOTR-SE in DTS-ES and SW-ATOC DD-EX) and I'm pretty damn impressed by the sound, Very detailed, Supurb sound steering. The DPL2 movie or CS movie surround modes really enhance DSS and cable sources very nicely. In comparison to the Outlaw, Humm ? I guess I would have to call it a more lush sound. ( warm ) The Outlaw is perhaps uncolored but does not seem to deliver the same level of fine details and accuracy I'm hearing from the 7300, The Adjustable crossover actually makes an audible difference, For some reason I could never really hear much of a a difference when I used this feature on my 1050. BTW both units were/are connected to a Marantz MM-9000 5x150w amp via the pre-outs.
The remote will take some work to program ( this weekend ) and learn it's layout. I am disappointed that the supplied remote doesn't operate my Marantz VC-8100 (300xDVD) to a more useful/functional level without doing some additional learning of control/menu keys.

Steve aKa LazyBoy

MWestyn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
Hey Steve,

Was your unit also "modified" with a new serial# and torn off sticker?

Just wondering what your $.02 are on it...I'm now a little worried about having a grey market unit.

Not sure yet what I'm going to do.

Steve_Corrick

Stunt Coordinator
I agree that the serial number looks like ASD placed the tag on the unit. I also purchased Polk Lsi-9 speakers at ASD - same thing. ASD indicates that they will back the warranty on the unit for the duration of the mfrs. wty on the web site which is 3 yrs P/L on Marantz receivers. ASD has a 30 day defective exchange window. The unit came dbl boxed with an extra layer of peanuts around it to protect it in shipping. Sales receipt was included inside of the box. Having sold electronics - AV gear and computers in the past . . most manufacturing induced problems or malfunctions will usually show up fairly fast, That is probably why most main stream mfrs' have only offered wtys of 90 days P/L for many years - if there is any problem hopefully it will occur in the 30 day window. Since I generally run my HT system around 6 hours every day after work this should be adequate burn in time in the 30 day window. You can always add an extended wty - through ASD if you want the peace of mind.
ASD return and service policy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks