Marantz 7300 vs 7300ose (vs Seperates)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by SeanV, Aug 12, 2003.

1. SeanV

SeanV Stunt Coordinator

Jun 23, 2003
    I've searched for posts relating to this and I've found a lot of 'seperates vs receiver'. My question isn't so much if one is better. I would like to know if I were ONLY able to get a receiver at this time (i.e. $800) but planned to use it as a pre/pro in the future does the power rating of the receiver matter? Will a 150wx6 receiver be any different than a 100x6 receiver when being used as a pre/pro?

Secondly, does anyone have any opinions on whether the Marantz 7300ose is worth the extra $$$ over the 7300?

Thanks in advance.

Does power have to be evenly distributed to speakers in a surround setup? What I mean is that I've read where people use a seperate amp for their fronts and the receiver to power the surrounds. If the amp is more powerful than the receiver will this effect the surround effect with more power going to the fronts?
  2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

Jun 24, 1999
    If you are going to be using it as a receiver only for a while, get the OSE. If you are getting your amp now, get the 7300. As a receiver, the OSE will have a larger power reserve.

The OSE amounts to an 8200 with the 7300's processing. I don't think there will be much difference in sound quality as a pre/pro, because IIRC, they use the same DACs.
  3. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

Aug 26, 2001
    Yeah but according to Marantz the OSE uses "hand selected parts," a better preamp stage, and gold-plated jacks. As to wether all this would make an audible difference, I don't know.