Marantz 7300 or Yamaha RX-V1300?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Louis-Philippe, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Louis-Philippe

Yes, another one of those which one to chose. I've narrowed my chose to 2 or 3 receivers after many hours of user reviews/comments reading.

Marantz SR7300
    Yamaha RX-V1300

I've looked at the H/K AVR 325 - but that 50w per channel is scarring me (maybe it shouldn't).

60% would be for HT use and 40% for music.

Those receivers are around the same price in CAN$ which is my max budget wise.

My speakers are:

Mains: Paradigm Monitor 7 v2
    Center: Paradigm CC370
    Surround: Paradigm Mini Monitor v1
    Sub: Paradigm PDR-10

Which one would bring my Paradigm and ears to speaker heaven?

2. Raphael O

Raphael O Stunt Coordinator

what about the HK 525?

3. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Between the Marantz & the Yamaha, I'd pick the Marantz.

4. RobCar

RobCar Stunt Coordinator

Which do you like the sound of better, for music? Try to listen to them both, and if you have no clear preference, look to features, appearance, etc. to make your decision. Both are great units.

5. MWestyn

MWestyn Stunt Coordinator

Well my opinion is obvious because I already own a Marantz SR7300

The yamaha seems to be a little bright to me, this combined with the paradigms might be a little to much. Marantz tends to be neutral if not a little warm.

Just my .02

6. skip marr

skip marr Stunt Coordinator

I would look at HK or maybe Marantz. I have had a Yamaha and they are harsh. I had the opportunity to compare an HK to a Denon, and the HK ran away hands down. You just won't understand until you hear the actual difference. Both receivers of approximately equal power were driven at the same volume levels (measured) through Krell sheakers. Now the speaker sounded good, but when we switched receivers, the HK was warmer and more wide open. The Denon sounded like a clock radio. Amazing - so try it for yourself if you find a dealer that handles both. Or take my word for it - I looked into it in depth before making my decision.

However, I am hearing a lot of good things about the Marantz turn-around. Especially the 7300 unit. A long time ago I looked at HK and Marantz - both were the best. Now I understand that the Marantz may be the better value and better built (with no fans). So this week I am beginning to look at the Marantz.

Does anyone know anything about the new "ALL DIGITAL" HK unit coming out? I would like to hear anything anyone knows.

Thanks and good luck!

7. MattCPT

MattCPT Stunt Coordinator

I also think that you should compare the two for yourself. I recently purchased a Marantz 8200 to replace my older Yamaha 890, so you can see that I preferred the sound of the Marantz. The Marantz does have more power and the processors are better as well, but the difference in sound quality was significant.

I listened to the comparable Sony ES, Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer and JVC before making my decision to buy the Marantz(refurbished for $1,050). I didn't listen to the H&K mostly because I was impressed by the improvement in sound that I heard from the Marantz vs. the other receivers, but I also didn't like the look of the H&K. I found the H&K to look "cheap", but that is only my opinion, and I've heard only good things about the sound.

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Between those two, my personal choice would also be the Marantz. Paradigm monitor series, which can be considered a bit on the bright side (crisp, as I call them [​IMG] ) pairs very well with Marantz. Just this weekend I auditioned the 7300 with v3 Monitor 11s, and I was very impressed. I have auditioned in the same room with the same speakers with a 7200 and the same source, and the 7300 was a slight improvement that has me biding my time until I can pick up a 7300 in the next few months.
    I really enjoy the sound of H/K also, but the looks just don't do it for me.

9. Louis-Philippe

I found an audio shop that would demo my two choices tomorrow. Before listening to them I lean toward the Marantz, but who knows what the demo will tell.
    I'll keep you guys updated. Thanks to everybody who replied and please feel free to add more comments.
    I know those kind of threads always help people making choices. [​IMG]
    Take care,
    lpr

10. Hal_J

Hal_J Agent

i have read here over and over that yamahas are bright, marantz are warm or musical or whatever. obviously you have to listen for yourself, and it's cool that you get to, but the trend here in past posts is to pair the paradigms with a warmer or neutral receiver. sounds like youll know real soon. tell us what you choose!

11. Louis-Philippe

Ok here we go.
    I had the chance to listen to the two units on Boston Acoustics speakers in stereo mode. I've started with the Marantz 7300 and then the Yamaha 2300 (they didn't have a 1300 in the demo room). In short, it's true that the Yamaha is brighter... In fact, I used the word sharper (my personal description of the sound). The Marantz was warmer and had more presence (I think someone used the term wide open, and this also fits).
    If I was going for a 100% home theater use I may have chosen the Yamaha, but since I enjoy quality stereo music and the occasional DPLII (and now I'll have NEO:6 [​IMG] ) I went for the Marantz.
    So I'm the new owner of a Marantz SR7300 that I just can't wait to get out of the box.
    Thanks to everybody who help in their own way.

12. Chad Sunderland

Chad Sunderland Stunt Coordinator

Congrats...I'm looking to make the very same receiver descision as you as soo as funds free up a little. [​IMG] I'm also leaning towards Marants before hearing, I like the added inputs of the Yammie, but my current Yammie htr-5460 just doesn't give me what I want out of my music. It is a great HT receiver though! I'm just hoping I can find a dealer within 2 hours from me 2 demo both units at the same time.
    Chad

13. skip marr

skip marr Stunt Coordinator

Congratulations on your purchase. It is great that you could compare the two. Many people don't believe there exists a difference in the receiver's sound...and you just added another testomonial. Let us know how you like it after you break it in!!

14. maolen

maolen Auditioning

Congrats, I'm also a proud and happy owner of
    SR7300 since I bought it last month. I'm loving
    the sound more as days pass