Marantz 7300 + Denon 1600 VS. Sony AVD-S50ES (no comparison?)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JeremyX, Dec 6, 2002.

1. JeremyX

JeremyX Stunt Coordinator

Hey Gang,

Well trying to keep things aesthetically pleasing, and items that will fit with a new stand I am getting, I opted for the new DVD/Receiver integrated unit from Sony. The S50ES.

However my concerns were that these items should not be integrated, but I have come to trust the ES brand from Sony over the years. They don't put it on garbage.

However I am mating it to some new B&W 600 series speakers..not the high-end 600's the entry level 601 s3's and 602.5 s3's with an LCR 60. And I really want to take advantage of them. I basically do a 50/50 split on movies/music. MP3 playback is important to me.

So that is the basic area where I am at. I have read some great reviews on the Marantz 7300, it's got everything I could conceivably want. The looks of the piece are okay, but I seem to have little choice in the looks area.

And regarding DVD...I considered the Panasonic rp91, but it's a year old. The Denon is rated better for music, and has the DCDi chipset and it is newer.

I think the receiver can be found for $699, and the Denon for around $400. So $1099 total. The Sony AVD-S50ES can be had for $629 ($799 MSRP).

So is this an "um duh?!" kind of question? Is there just ZERO comparison between these two setups? Is the Marantz/Denon combo VASTLY superior to the Sony integrated setup?

Thanks in advance in helping me decide.

And one other question...if I buy the Marantz...is it best to pay more and get from an AUTHORIZED' dealer? Anyone have good experiences with a Marantz dealer online? Thanks again.

2. JeremyX

No one has an opinion?
    One of three reasons why I guess:
    1. No one cares. But I doubt that. [​IMG]
    2. No one knows enough about the new integrated Sony ES products.
    3. This is such a dumb question...that people are insulted to even consider it?
    * crickets chirping in the background *

3. JeremyX

lil bump

show a freak sum lub. :b

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I dunno... but it seems you answered your own question. Personally, looks have no bearing whatsoever on my purchases. Sure, cool looks are great, but performance is the defining factor. Personally, I like the looks of the marantz, and denon units, and not so much the ES stuff. And also, integrated probably wouldn't come close. Not to mention, just LOOK at how small that sony unit is. The marantz would stomp all over that. They can't possibly have all that performance jammed in that. So, I say don't ever consider looks, and you will end up with the best performance, value, and quality. And if it has good looks to boot, then yippee. And IMO, you should buy from a local Marantz dealer. I think the 7300 is a bit more than just 699, i think the 6300 is 699, the 7300 more like 799, MSRP. You could probably find some deals though.

5. JeremyX

The $699 price was for a grey market 7300, probably not a good idea if marantz doesn't support the warranty.

hrm, decisions, decisions.

6. Paul_SM

Paul_SM Auditioning

If you like the looks of the all in one sony, buy it. But if you are after performance and features then Receiver wise the marantz eats the sony and spits out the plug. Can't say on the denon dvd player as I've never looked at the thing, but when I listen to music or watch a movie I don't sit there loooking at the amp. But Like everything in life it's your choice, Looks or performance. Good luck.

7. JeremyX

Gee...don't make me feel guilty or anything! [​IMG]
    I want both, good looks and good sounds, but it would seem the two will cost me considerably..so if I have to opt for one or the other..I will go for function over form. [​IMG]

8. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I don't see how you can like that sony unit... it looks like a fisher-price toy.... Good thing you're not a fashion designer [​IMG] But seriously, like everyone is gonna tell you, go with performance. Besides... would you rather watch the movie or watch your receiver [​IMG]

9. Paul_SM

Paul_SM Auditioning

Sorry Jeremy didn't mean too. Must admit I do look at looks too. The Marantz does appeal in a big square bulky (Grunty) sort of way. The Sony would make a good bedroom unit (If you bought both [​IMG] )Sleek and unobtrusive. Which ever You chose have fun.

10. JeremyX

Okay guys, thanks for more feedback...you are, of course, correct. I was just going for simpler is better, and hoped because it was an ES product it would perform well...but you are right...nothing beats the flexibility and quality of keeping things as seperate as possible.
    So I have a list of some receivers and dvd players I am zeroing in on..any additional thoughts are always welcome..I jsut want to decide and be done with it.
    WHERE'S THE ASPIRIN?! [​IMG]
    Receivers:
    Pioneer Elite 45 tx (read about some power issues)
    Onkyo SR800 (heard nothing negative here)
    Sony 4ES (i have read it's over priced and remote is hell)
    Marantz 7300 (this seems to have zero negative feedback)
    I don't think any of these players offer bass management...which would be nice...I think the Pioneer was rumored to, but nothing definite..weird
    DVD:
    Denon 1600 (no gold plated plugs; no coaxial out)
    Pioneer Elite 45a (nice that it's universal, but it had chroma bug..how bad? not sure)

11. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

You don't need to worry about bass management unless you want to utilize dvd-a. If you are interested in a universal player, right now everybody is waiting on the Yamaha 2300, which is just now starting to trickle into some stores. Some people actually have them in their homes, but I am going to wait until I hear a bit more about them. But then, they will eat up most of your budget anyway. What are they, $800 to $1000?

Various posts about the Pioneer 45 universal player go from extremes where some people don't even notice the chroma but to those who find it intolerable. Heck, if the Yamaha really turns out good, I will probably get one, but if doesn't walk on water, I may just save the money and get the Pioneer.

I think the Marantz would be a good receiver, although I really like my Pioneer 45tx and it's MCACC feature. Marantz is supposed to be sweet for music though.

12. Paul_SM

Paul_SM Auditioning

The "Marantz 7300" thread talks about bass management issues for that unit. You might have already read it but if not it's worth a look. The onkyo is another unit I looked at and although I have heard nothing really negitive most comments from people have headed more for the Marantz because of it's music ability. But once again everyone has different likes and dislikes when it comes to sound.

13. MWestyn

MWestyn Stunt Coordinator

Marantz all the way!!!

The SR7300 has a selectable crossover (80, 100, 120), and you can "manage" each speaker by reducing/increasing it's individual db level.

Get the Marantz and don't look back.

(Got mine grey market, after a day or two of wondering if grey market was a wise choice, I stopped thinking and just kept listening to the sound it created...I don't want to be without it now)