What's new

Marantz 7300/7300OSE impedance question (1 Viewer)

JessPrice

Stunt Coordinator
It looks like I jumped the gun too early. I will be purchasing a Marantz 7300 or 7300ose very soon and a pair of Axiom M80ti on ebay. I thought the impedance of the Axioms were 6 ohm, but I was wrong, they are 4 ohm. Earlier today I made a bid on the pair of Axiom speakers. I plan on using the Marantz to power my speakers. Will the Marantz reciever be able to power 4 ohm speakers?!?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've been asking this question for a while too, regarding my 8300, as the speakers I am looking at are also 4 Ohm. Nobody seems to have a definitve answer, though many say it won't be a problem, espeically if the speakers are pretty efficient. The ones I am considering are 91.5dB efficient, so I am hoping I won't have a problem.

One solution would be external amplification. If you know you will go with external amplification for sure for the front or all speakers, go with the 7300. If you want to run these speakers off the receiver, then you should definitely go with the OSE for the larger power supply.

The NAD T762 has an MSRP less than the OSE and can handle 4 Ohm speakers. Try www.yawaonline.com (call/e-mail them for a quote).

JessPrice

Stunt Coordinator
I called Marantz today and they said the reciever can handle 4 ohm loads, but nothing lower.

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
I wouldnt recommend driving 4ohm speakers with a SR7300(this is only my opinion, I tested the 7300 but with 8ohm speakers), But i do think that the 8300 will have a lot better chances with 4ohm load. Maybe with good ventilation and dont pushing them to hard the 7300 will do fine. But I will consider going with NAD, as previously suggested John, it is also a great reciever that has good reputation on the amp and also in sound.

I also briefly audition a Harman Kardon AVR7500 (selling for $996 at onecall.com), and for me it had more power than the SR7300OSE had, but I dont know if can handle 4ohm speakers. I do think NAD will be your best bet.

JessPrice

Stunt Coordinator
I lost the bid on the Axiom speakers anyways, I guess I should pay more attention next time! All their other speakers were 8 ohm that I looked at, so I just assumed. I may look into that NAD or an Outlaw950/7100 combo (it's like $1800)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I ran my 8300 with the speakers I am considering (GR Research AV-2s) last night for about 3 hrs straight. Aside from a bit more heat than my current speakers, it seemed to drive them with no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks