1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Marantz 7200

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steven_B, Dec 3, 2001.

1. Steven_B

Steven_B Agent

I've read some of the bad publicity about Marantz 7200 being way over rated. However it looks like a good unit and much more reasonably priced than Denon, or Onkyo for example. So should us non-professionals take warnings to heart or take advantage of the bad publicity's effect on the price curve that it has created? I mean I am looking and purchasing a receiver so far it is HK 520, Yamaha HTR-5490, Denon 2802, Onkyo 696, or the Marantz 7200. All found within the same range on the net. However unknown to who is reputable and who is not, and which have valid warranties

2. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

Hopefully a couple of 7200 owners will respond directly here. I'd like to hear more 1st hand feedback from 7200 owners. I have the 7000 from last year and am very happy with it. I find it delivers good, solid power to my speakers. It looks like your other choices are solid, in case you don't go with the Marantz.

--S

3. GabrielC

GabrielC Stunt Coordinator

This is in no way a truly definitive response, but my roommate just got the 7200. It's main (and so far only) use has been to hook up with his computer to power his cerwin vega speakers. So he hasn't gotten much into either video outputs/inputs or many of the advanced functions that the receiver has to offer.
    For the basic use of outputting sound however, it's been an exceptional performer. The 7200 is VERY clean with it's output, even with a poor source such as the computer, no distortion at all when turning the volume up. He's had it for about 2 months now and hasn't regretted buying it. No problems with normal use though, and it only gets warm to the touch with minimal circulation.
    The only gripe he has with it, is that it needs a TV to change some of the features (the video out of the receiver has to be used for an on-screen display). The other problem he has is that the price just went down quite a bit from when he bought it [​IMG]

4. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    I had the 7200 for about 6 weeks. I returned to it to my dealer for the Onkyo 797(had to shell out an extra $150). The 7200 sounded good but it lacked power(i have a large room). I also had the s-video noise problem and the audio dropouts problem. These problems have since been corrected by Marantz(at least the s-video problem that i know for sure). I also owned the SR7000 and it was an excellent receiver. I would still have the sr7000 if i didn't want 6.1 and DPLII. If the dropouts are fixed the 7200 will be a solid choice for smaller rooms or if you use efficent speakers.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I have a 6200, and I also have the audio drop out issue. I have not checked for s-vid switching because my TV has more than enough s-vid inputs and I use component from the DVD. While I feel the receiver should be able to do something as simple as pass the s-vid signal, I don't feel that using the receiver for this is the best idea.

I have a decent sized room also, and I have found the 6200 to have more than enough power. These units shine when it comes to music. That was the main reason why I chose it over Onkyo and Denon, and as mentioned, it has every feature I was looking for at the right price (less than a comparable Onkyo or Denon), and after some auditions, I also felt the Marantz produced the best sound, overall.

To each their own, but I am still pleased with my Marantz.

6. Patrick Senez

I have the SR5200 and I'm still waiting a response from Marantz telling me what they are going to do with the digital drop-out issue. They wrote in an email that I should hear from them in the near future.

Appart from that problem, I'm very satisfied with the receiver. I find the sound excellent for movies and music. I will keep it and suggest it if they fix the problem.

I'm keeping faith !

7. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

Patrick,

Can you post the e-mail Marantz sent you? I'd be interested in hearing what they had to say.

8. Patrick Senez

ChrisAG,
    The email I got was a reply from Lenbrook, the Canadian distributor. I used the contact form on their website (www.lenbrook.com). It's probably not much but it's better than nothing at all. I plan to keep the forum informed on what will happen next.
    In the meantime, I'm "shopping" for another receiver. The Yamaha RX-V1200 or the Onkyo 696 are within an acceptable "upgrade" price range.
    How's your 797 ?

9. Jim_T

Jim_T Extra

I have the Marantz 7200 as well (Japanese version without tuner). Mine has plenty of power (or seems to in my small room) and I love the sound, but it does have the popping sound between CD tracks when the gap between tracks is long and I'm using a digital connection, and when I turn the volume all the way down to -75 (not that I ever really do that - I just tested it after I read someone else's complaint about it), and sometimes when I switch between digital audio sources.

Marantz Japan told me they couldn't replicate my problem, and so they're sending a rep to my apartment in a few days to hear what I'm talking about and to bring a replacement unit. (Pretty good Marantz service here in Japan.) I'll report back after I get the replacement.

To be honest, I'd probably keep the unit even if they wouldn't replace it - as I said, I love the sound, and I think the DACs on my Marantz CD6000-OSE CD player are superior anyway, so I'll most likely go with an analog connection between the two.

Hope this helps.

Jim

10. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

Patrick,

The 797 is a nice unit. Compared to the Marantz, it has more punch and separation for HT, but I think the Marantz is slightly better for music with my speakers (Mordaunt-Short 906). I think the Onkyo is even more detailed than the Marantz, but it does not have that warm sound when played at moderate to loud volumes. I'm not sure if this would be a negative for most people, but if I could have the best of both worlds, I'd choose the Marantz for music and the Onkyo for HT. I may end up returning it for that reason and the cost - almost twice what I paid for the 6200. If I do return it I'm not sure what to buy - perhaps a Denon 2802, or even a Marantz again if they give a satisfactory resolution to the problems within reasonable time.

By the way, my experience with Lenbrook is that they are polite and try to help, but they don't take the initiative to return calls or update you on news and such. You may need to contact them again.

11. Dennis B

Dennis B Stunt Coordinator

I have a 7200 and had none of the problems above.

I can't say enough great things about how it sounds.

12. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I auditioned a 3802, and I was very impressed with the power. The separation for HT was excellent (noticably better than my 6200). However, when it came to music, the Denon just didn't sound as good to my ears. I'm sure I could be happy with the Denon, but I am also happy with the Marantz (for less money, same power rating, and most of the features).

13. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Steven,

I don't think the problems that the 5/6/7200 series has is overrated at all,as a matter a fact,the satisfied owners are few and far between.However if you want to risk it you can alvays return it in 30days if it doesn't work out.

The Denon 2802 is solid receiver, and I just put an order for the HK-AVR-520,so you know which ones I recomend.

I currently have a Denon 3801.

14. Patrick Senez

ChrisAG,

I'm sure you looked at the Yamaha 1200. Is it a receiver that you considered ? I'm curious to have your thoughts on it...

Dennis B,

Interesting. You mention that you don't have any problem with your 7200 ? Can you give us information on your CD/DVD player and if it's connected using digital cable ? I think I remember reading somewhere that the Marantz does work with certain CD/DVD players (no digital audio drop-outs).

Thanks !

15. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

Patrick,

I auditioned the Yamaha RX-V1000 along with the Onkyo 898 at the dealer, using the same speakers that I use at home. The 1000 is similar to the 1200 but lacks the amplified rear centre channel. I would describe the Yamaha sound as colder than the Onkyo, almost harsh for 2-channel stereo. It was the complete opposite of the Marantz, and I did not like it at all. The Onkyo splits the difference between the two, and is probably the most accurate of all three.

16. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Dennis B,

I too am curious what DVD or CD player you have. Also, about the dropout test, you must use the correct CD's, or it won't work. By correct, I mean CD's that start with audio at exactly 0:00. Here are some examples: Power Windows by RUSH, 86-98 by Depeche Mode (hits compilation) , Surfacing by Sarah McLachlan and the Roger Waters CD about Hitch-Hiking with the woman on the cover. The Depeche mode 1 rst CD has tracks like #3 or #4 and others which drop out almost every time. Interestingly enough, I have discovered something unfortunate, or rather, maybe its not unfortunate, but its negative.

Chris AG,

The "Source Direct" switching back and forth on receiver made it seem like there was more bass in source direct because there was. I forgot I had my fronts set as small!!!

If you were willing to spend the money on the 797, would get the SR 8200 instead if it was better than the other x200's? I mean, none of the problems, plus more power and features? I am going to research it, but its pricy.

Everybody,

Chris AG and I did some testing and comparing of my SR 6200 and his Onkyo 797. The 797 drops out almost exactly the same as my SR 6200. If your 797 is not dropping out, then, I don't no why not. Different DVD/CD player? Not using the tracks that drop out for me? I am not sure if it is as bad as my 6200, maybe it was a tiny bit better, but it still drops out. Both using his Toshiba DVD player and my Panasonic DVD player. I think we both prefered the sound of the Marantz over the Onkyo, but there really wasn't a huge difference in sound quality. Maybe the Marantz sounds warmer because something in the upper mid-treble is not as harsh?

Anyways, so far, the only receiver I have found which does not drop out (for the sake of continuity, "with my Panasonic CV 51 DVD changer"), is the NAD T751. The only time the T751 dropped out, was:

1) After turning on my DVD player for the first time and playing a track. the first bit of sound is cut off, and its a very small amount. Afterwards, no matter what I did, the NAD would not miss ANY audio whatsoever. Stop. Play, no missed audio. Change discs. No missed first track or any audio whatsoever. forward a track, reverse a track, individual track numbers, pause, nothing would cause a dropout. Perhaps I will do a little more testing out of curiosity.

2) The only other time I had the NADT751 truncate the audio was after playing a DVD. The NAD was then playing a DD AC3 DVD disc. I then went to play a CD and it cut off the first bit of sound. I couldn't make it skip after that. It is possible, however unlikely that I should have forced the NAD into a non-DD AC3 mode, like stereo. I didn't try that. Next time I will try that.

So I am not sure what to do now. I like the sound of my 6200, but it does have these few quirks. If Marantz came along and fixed the problems, I'd be happy. otherwise, The NAD receivers presently have no DPL II. I would rather have DPL II and also, I would like 6.1. I would rather have DPLII and no 6.1, but its close.

As for what other receivers, I can't think of any I'd really want. I guess I'll shop around and listen. Possibly a Denon 1802,2802 or 3802? A Yamaha 1200 or 2200? Not keen on the yamaha sound, but I haven't heard them enough.

17. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

I had not done thorough testing of the 797 until Chris PC came by, but I think the dropouts were less noticable with the Onkyo and didn't happen 100% of the time.

Another interesting fact - some of you are aware of my complaints regarding the S-video vertical sync problem of the x200 series whenever a source contains bright flashes or explosions. It turns out that this problem happens with the 6200 using my Toshiba DVD player, but not Chris PC's Panasonic DVD player, so it is not entirely the 6200's fault. The Onkyo's S-video is fine using either player though, indicating more robust circuitry.

Chris PC,

The 8200 is priced over $2K - way over my original budget of $1200. The 797 was a stretch for me, and I will probably return it this weekend.

18. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Chris AG,

What kind of banana plugs were those that you had? What are they worth, do you remember? Where did you pick them up?

Yeah, I have been looking into the 8200 and its turning out to be way too expensive. I thought it might be similar to the 797, but its looking like its going for what you said. Too bad. I wish the 7200 was real option between the 6200 and 8200. Something with a bit more power than the 6200 and the extra features. I just want an end to the drop outs. Not sure what I'm going to do now.

19. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Chris AG,
    I agree with you about the Marantz sounding better than the Onkyo for 2 channel music. I would consider upgrading to the SR8200 but I use a Parasound 5 channel amp to bi-amp my mains and power my center channel. The Parasound has excellent imaging and a warm, smooth sound. The 797 is awesome for HT which i listen to 75% of the time. So i have the best of both worlds and don't really have a need for the 8200(but i would love to give it a listen here at home![​IMG]). Good luck to you and Chris PC with your receiver search.

20. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

Chris PC,

I have Ultralink banana plugs, 2pr in a $16 package at Kromer, $21 at the Sony store.