What's new

Marantz 7200 vs 6200 (1 Viewer)

Charles Wan

Auditioning
My dealer has 6200 in stock. But he is out of stock on
7200, and expecting shipment in 2-3 weeks.
What are the differences between the two?
According to Marantz web site, the differences seem to be:
- different remote controls (How is 6200's remote?)
- 192KHx vs 96 KHz (How important is this? What is it anyway??)
- Component video switching for 7200 (I don't mind this, as I wire video signals directly into the TV)
- Price
- Anything else?
Is it worth paying more and waiting 2-3 weeks for the 7200?
Your opinions are appreciated.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The only other significant difference I can think of is dual room/dual source on the 7200. The remote is the RC1200 on their site. The remote that comes with the 6200 is functional, but cheap and the button layout sucks. Neither has backlighting (unless you can enable it somehow on the 1200) so I bought an RC2000 to replace the remote that came with my 6200.
I didn't feel that I needed 192K vs 96K (capability to accept PCM bitstream @ xxx rate), I don't need component vid switching either.
I am extremely pleased with this receiver!
icon14.gif

------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)

varon

Auditioning
Hello,
As these (6200/7200) products are quite new, I am looking for
feedback from owners or people that have chosen another product
over one of these.
What made you choose/reject this product ?
Have you used the 6.1 option ? Is it much better than 5.1 ?
Have you used the DPL II ? How is it compared to DD/DTS 5.1 ?
Thanks !

Duane_T

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, I'd be interested in hearing more on these receivers too, including prices paid in Canadian $, if anyone can tell me.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have hooked up a 6th speaker to try it out. It makes a noticable difference when playing 6.1 material. When playing 5.1 material, the difference is less, but still noticable.

Tom Morgan

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with John G. the rear center makes T2 and Gladiator(6.1) sound better, on 5.1 it is alittle better. I have the 7200 and it has preformed flawlessly. I do not use s-video switching but have heard a few have had a problem with it. If you are going to get one and want to use s-video switching have the dealer show you it working.
------------------
There can be only one!
My DVDs
[Edited last by Tom Morgan on September 11, 2001 at 06:29 PM]

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
I own the 7200 and it performs flawlessly on the audio end. I think one feature not mentioned by the others that the 7200 has over the 6200 is DC Triggers. Also the the 7200 is 110 watts per channel(I know the manual says 105). Not sure about the 6200(listed as 105). I also have noticed the s-video switching problem that others have reported. It don't really matter to me but I hope Marantz corrects the problem. I stopped using the s-video switching(only have DSS hooked up to it anyway, my dvd is componet video). I would exchange it if need be just to have the s-video switching fix(don't like the idea of having a receiver w/ a defect, even though i don't use the feature).
Regards,
Dalton

Will Pons

Auditioning
Marantz SR7200 video switching problem?? Exactly what is the problem? Is it a problem with s-video as well as component video? Does it affect all units or just some? Has Marantz acknowledged the problem and will they fix under warranty? Since some readers are considering buying over the internet vs. brick and mortar dealers, this could be a problem! Thanks.

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
My 6200 initially had awful s-video swithching - there were vertical interference lines, very noticable. Marantz knows about the problem, and mine was fixed promptly. Now DVD is perfect, and my satellite is 95% - that may be the fault of the satellite, perhaps its s-video signal is not output perfectly.
I'm sure the latest units don't have this problem, but if you want to buy, test the s-video out in the store first.

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
I have a 7200 and my composite monitor out does not work. Fortunately, S-Video does or I would not have been able to set it up. In addition, the test tones are way off. Using the receivers tones, the subwoofer setting is low by 10db (verified with Rat Shack and Infinity RABOS sound meters). This is the second unit I've had at home. The first had a rather large scratch on the top of the enclosure near the back. And yes, it was a factory sealed box bought at an authorized brick and mortar dealer. I'm not sure I'm going to try a third unit, as I am a little disappointed at its implementation of DPLII music. There are no adjustments to the the 3 parameters that can be adjusted in a full implementation.
[Edited last by Tony Genovese on September 12, 2001 at 10:15 AM]

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
Tony,
Is the composite Monitor Out not working, or is the video input different from the Monitor Out? Remember that you must use the same video in type as you use for monitor out, e.g. composite for composite, OR s-video for s-video. The two types cannot be mixed - if you do, you won't get a signal from the Monitor Out.
All receivers have this technical limitation, except for the newest Onkyos.

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
I have the monitor out connected to input 1 of my TV. I am using composite. I am trying to see the on-screen display and I cannot. If I use an S-Video cable and connect from the monitor out to input 2, s-video, I can see the on screen display. I have tried different cables, inputs, etc to no avail. Not sure what's going on here.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Are you using any of the video inputs? If you do, as ChrisAG said, you can ONLY use outputs of the same type, ie; if you use one composite in, the S-vid will not work and vice versa. I tried both on mine, and they each worked fine. I am currently using S-vid for OSD.
Maybe you people who are using the receiver to do video switching (which is not a good idea in my book) should consider another way to do switching or get a display device that has more inputs. My TV has more than enough S-vid inputs (but only one Component input).

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
I don't own any S-Video stuff, so the answer is no. I am only using composite inputs (VCR and cable), and the monitor out does not work. The vcr out works, so I can use it to watch tv, but the OSD only works on the monitor out. Again when I use an S-Video cable I can see the OSD, when I use a composite cable (disconnecting the S-Video, of course,) I cannot see the OSD.
I like the sound of the unit, but I am concerned with what appears to me to be a lack of QC. Also, as stated above, I am surprised at the less than total implementation of DPLII music. There is an interesting thread on AVS where Jim Fosgate (DPLII's developer) talks about the different settings he uses when listening to DPLII music, settings not available on the 6200 or 7200. Surprising.

Charles Wan

Auditioning
Many thanks for all of your inputs!
I was originally thinking about buying 6200 or 7200.
Now after seeing some of your comments/complaints,
I have second thoughts...
Is it still worth buying a Marantz??
Can anybody recommend any other A/V receiver in the same
price range? Although I want an A/V receiver to watch DVD,
music is important to me. (This is the main reason for
me to consider a Marantz.)
How about Outlaw 1050? Cheap, good reviews, no DPL 2
though...

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
As long as you check that the S-video switching is OK before you take it home, I'd still recommend the 6200. It's the best bang for the buck in 100-plus Watt, 6.1 channel DPL II receivers. No other receiver in its price range can match the sound quality, in my view. You can get more features (i.e., Denon 3802 7.1), but you'll pay significantly more for them.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Sucks about the S-video. If the SR 6200 would switch S-video signals it would be awefully handy for me. I have a LD player and I'm going to pick up an SVHS vcr.
If the SR 6200 I have does not have any glitch with the S-video switching, is there any other degradation of the video signal when using the receiver to switch SVIDEO?

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
I detect no degredation in the s-video signal with DVD.
The DSS/VCR2 input is used for my satellite, and the picture is similarly bright and clear, but if the room lights are low I see a vertical interference line during fade-to-black scenes. This line is not visible otherwise.
I have tried switching components and inputs around, and it is definitely the DSS/VCR2 input's fault, not the satellite receiver's.
So overall, I'd say the DVD input has 0% degredation, the DSS has 5%.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Though I have seen a few with problems, I have had no problems to date with my 6200, which I purchased the week they became available to the public. Problems such as those mentioned are not uncommon in the first batch of a product.
I am extremely pleased with this receiver. The sound is why I bought it (compared it to Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo). The power is clean and Marantz just produces excellent sound. It is better at 2ch music than any other AVR in it's price range, but Denon seemed to be a bit better at HT. I would definitely buy Marantz again.
[Edited last by John Garcia on September 13, 2001 at 10:07 AM]

Jon_B

Screenwriter
My dad is having 0 problems on the 6200 with the s video being connected to tv via the dvd player and reciever. The picture looks great.
Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks