Marantz 6200 vs 7200?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Harvey S, Jun 20, 2002.

1. Harvey S

Harvey S Extra

I'm planning to purchase a new AV receiver and am very interested in the Marantz 7200. I notice that the 6200 is very similar but $130 less at AC4l.com. The two seem to have the same amplifier specs (105 wpc @ .05% thd 20-20k) and as far as I can tell the differences are these:
    The 7200 has a better remote, component video switching and a 192 KHZ DAC instead of 96 KHZ. The two seem to have the same inputs except for the component video and neither has a phono input. Did I get it right ?

The amount of information available in spec sheets and even the on-line manuals limits the comparison to the differences I mention above. If there is someone out there who has some experience with these two I'd like to know whether there are other differences, and most importantly whether the two really do have the same basic electronics and sound quality.

Can anyone hear a difference between a 96KHZ dac and a 192 KHZ DAC? Even the 96 KHZ dac can accurately reproduce analog signals up to about 48 KHZ which is far above the range of human hearing.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Besides those things you listed, the 7200 has dual room/dual source capability and 12v triggers for external devices such as external amps.

I own a 6200 and I have heard the 7200, they sound nearly identical. The 7200 is said to have a slightly more beefy power supply, but I expect the difference is negligible.

There has been some discussion lately with respect to which DACs are in there. Even on Marantz' site, it appeared to me that the DACs in the 6200 and 7200 are the same, but they are different for the 8200 and 9200.

If you don't need 12v triggers or dual room capability, just as I didn't, I'd say the 6200 will work great.

The remote was a serious issue for me since I hadn't seen or used one before I bought the unit (I got mine the week they hit the stores) and I might have opted for the 7200 just based on that, since the RC1200 remote is MSRP $150, and the RC6200SR that comes with the 6200 is crap. It is programmable, but it is not backlit, the butttons are all identical and perfectly aligned to eachother so you cannot operate it by touch. I replaced the RC6200SR with a RC2000Mk II anyway, which I prefer over the RC1200, though it is a bit large.

3. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

The remote that comes with the 6200 is a cruel joke. Unless you have or plan on getting a 3rd party remote, get the SR7200. The version of the RC1200 that comes with the SR7200 does not have a backlit LCD screen, but at least it is comfortable to hold, can be operated by feel, and has a large memory capacity for operating other components.

4. Harvey S

Harvey S Extra

The remote that comes with the 6200 is a cruel joke. Unless you have or plan on getting a 3rd party remote, get the SR7200. The version of the RC1200 that comes with the SR7200 does not have a backlit LCD screen, but at least it is comfortable to hold, can be operated by feel, and has a large memory capacity for operating other components.

Thanks for the information. I have a radio shack 15-1994 remote and I expect it will allow me to put the Marantz remote on the shelf just as I've done for my present Onkyo receiver

5. Ferran Mazzanti

Ferran Mazzanti Stunt Coordinator

Harvey S,
    I own a 6200 and it works great. Besides, the remote is not perfect but claiming it's a 'cruel joke' is more than exagerate. I'd go and see one by myself before any other thing. Maybe yu, as I did, decide that it is not that bad...

6. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

Ferran,
    Without lets say, losing some functionality (i.e. learning capable), how could the 6200's remote be any worse?
    [​IMG]
    Chris

7. Ferran Mazzanti

Well Chris, as someone said once, in this world there is no objective truth, everything depends on how you look at it [​IMG]
    For me, a remote is just a small box with buttons that let's you stay in your coach while changing modes in the receiver. In this sense, I don't need anything particularly special, and I'm happy as long as it does the job. I think paying $100+ for a remote is wasting money, I'd rather invest it in the amp itself... But that's my personal opinion, of course.
    Furthermore, having lots of keys (as this remote has) is a feature since you can assign many different functions to it, and you don't need to press four different keys to reach the function you want to use at that moment...
    As I said before, this depends on what is important to you and what it is not.

8. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

Yeah, a Ford Model-T can "do the job," but I sure wouldn't want one as my daily driver (speaking of it's value as a commuter vehicle, not it's antique appeal, of course).

Hey, no offence intended... I like these debates. My room mate would rather use the dedicated remotes for every component, so I keep the 6200's remote on the coffee table. Every so often I pick it up to use if I have misplaced the RC1200... and every time I think to myself what an awfully designed remote it is.

9. Harvey S

Harvey S Extra

10. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I am glad I bought a used Marantz mutli-remot, the 2000. Its pretty good. Does lots of stuff. Lights up. I can feel lots of the buttons without looking. Works good but its heavy and a bit big. Worlds better than the sesame seed buttoned remote that came with the 6200. Yuch.

11. Tony Lai

Tony Lai Stunt Coordinator

Sorry but the remote that comes with the 6200 is a "CRUEL JOKE".

Why is this?

Because I received the same remote with my 1996 Marantz receiver!

Compared to the masterpiece that is the Marantz rc2000, the 6200 remote feels like it's made by Denon or Yamaha it's that bad.

Personnally I feel you need a tough, ergonomic remote to control your entire setup. Tough enough to survive a fall off a desk onto a wood floor. And for me, that's the old Marantz rc2000...

I've spilt half a glass of beer on mine - dried it out with tap water - dried it off - still works!

AND RETAINED ALL SETTINGS! AND IT SMELLS NICE NOW!

I have two Marantz rc2000's (a mk1 and mk2) and will prob. buy another one I like it so much.

T.

12. Ferran Mazzanti

Well guys, looks like everybody here prefers an old, good and expensive remote,¡. Congratulations for me then, since I'm happy and pay no extra for it [​IMG]
    But I guess that there should be other reasons appart from the remote to pick up a 7200 instead of a 6200, isn't it?

13. James_N_H

James_N_H Stunt Coordinator

If you look at the back panel drawings of the 6200 and 7200 on Marantz's site the 7200 has full component video ins and outs where the 6200 doesnt. The 7200 has inputs for 9 sources compared to the 7 of the 6200 also.
    The 7200 decodes DD EX which im not sure that the 6200 does. And it has a better remote incase you forgot!

14. John Garcia

John
    The 5200, 6200 and 7200 all have the same processing capability. DD EX, DTS ES discrete and matrix.

The 6200 only has S-vid, while the 7200 has component, however neither can do switching, which means you cannot mix input and output types.

Unless you need video switching, this is irrelevant.

15. James_N_H

The 5200 doesnt decode EX or ES either only the matrix 6.1, its compatible with them but you need an external decoder.

Ive checked with a friend who works in a hi-fi store and he thinks that the 6200 only does 6.1 matrix and is only compatible with EX and ES from external decoders like the 5200.

16. John Garcia

John
    Your friend is wrong, considering I OWN a 6200, and have set up a client's 5200. Both handle discrete and matrix just fine thanks. NO external decoder is required. What would be the point of having a 6 channel amp if the receiver was not able to decode 6.1 material? [​IMG].
    The processing is identical for the 6200 and 7200, and I believe it is also the same for the 5200.

17. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

I owned a 5200 and yes it does decode 6.1 channel material.

18. James_N_H

Im not wrong about the 5200, even when What hi-fi tested it they said it only did the matrixed 6.1 and nothing else as they where comparing it directly to the Denon 2802 which did decode the ES, it still handles DD and DTS but only matrixed 6.1 and not ES or EX, im not sure if you are in the U.S but if you are things appear to be different
    to the U.K.

19. Tony Lai

Tony Lai Stunt Coordinator

You can have a look at the Marantz website - they say it processes ac3/dts 6.1 formats but the 7200 and under are NOT EX or matrix/discrete ES certified.

"6.1 Compatible" they say...

T.

20. James_N_H

The marantz site says:

'dolby prologic surround I/II, dolby digital 6.1 and DTS-ES compatible decoding'

For the 5200, 6200 and 7200 with no mention of EX, which is incorrect as the 7200 definately does EX as I have one, I E-mailed marantz before I bought it to confirm it did EX and they admitted to the site being wrong.

Here is what they all decode in the U.K anyway:

5200 - Dolby Digital, 6.1 Matrix, DTS, Dolby Pro Logic I & II (auto-detect)

6200 - Dolby Digital, 6.1 Matrix, DTS, Dolby Pro Logic II, DTS ES compatible

7200 - Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS 5.1, Dolby Pro Logic I & II (auto-detect), THX EX 6.1, DTS ES and Dolby Digital EX