1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Marantz 6200 Bass Management Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BarryC, Sep 25, 2001.

1. BarryC

BarryC Auditioning

Hi,
    I am looking to pick up a Marantz 6200: In Canada, the prices are more "inline" with US prices than the other Onkyo and Denon receivers. As an example, I can pick up a Marantz 6200 for the same price as an Outlaw 1050 or Onkyo 595 shipped from the U.S.
    I actually have a set of ceramic Norh 4.0 speakers. I am in the process of building a DIY sub based on the shiva driver (a SVS 20-39CS shipped will cost almost $1000 canadian shipped, and I think I can go much cheaper DIY, probably half the cost, with comparable performance).
    My question is: The 4.0 are a little thin on the bottom end, so in my HT, I plan to set the 4.0 to "SMALL" setting. What crossover frequency does the Marantz 6200 use? I was hoping something in the 80 hz range. I've read that it may be higher-- about 100 hz. Is this too high?
    Thanks for any tips.
    BTW, if anyone can share some Marantz prices they've seen (cdn) that would be great!
    Barry.

2. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

It appears to be 100hz, 24db per octave. Not too high at all, IMHO. Some 80hz crossovers, if they have a shallower slope, can leak more into the midrange. I find the Marantz crossover quite transparent.

3. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    100Hz it is, and I will also voice my opinion that it is very transparent and not too high. I too have seen shallower slopes at lower x-over points that cause more blending problems than the Marantz. You have to keep in mind that Marantz is back on top, building some of the best products out there and they dont just pick numbers out of their butts. If its at 100Hz, there's a reason. Listen for yourself. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    My Website: http://www.hometheaterfanatic.com
    e-mail me: [email protected]
    My DVD Profiler
    Paradigm Lover

4. Duane_T

Duane_T Stunt Coordinator

Barry, I've seen the 6200 here in Saskatoon for $995.00 list.

5. Matt Broeska

Matt Broeska Stunt Coordinator

i think i've seen the 6200 at a&b for $950. i might be wrong. it could have been closer to 1g, but not more than that. i do know that the friends and family price on the 6200 is $773 at a&b. maybe you can talk them down to 800 or 850 if you don't know anyone working there?
    ------------------
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

6. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I purchased the SR 6200 from Whitby Audio (905) 668-0787 for less than $1000.00 before taxes. I would suggest checking them out for sure. I too was concerned about the crossover of 100 hz. I have been doing some re-organizing of my room and have not been able to audition the SR 6200 receiver using its 100 hz crossover enough. My first impressions using front speakers as SMALL and SUB=YES are, I think I notice something and the sound may not be perfect, but so far I can't say its objectionable. I need to test more and also i haven't fine tuned the position of my subwoofer. It sounds good really and I definitely wouldn't let the crossover setting deter you from purchasing the receiver. I do have to say though, you must let you ears decide for you, so go and listen. You can always use an outboard crossover and outboard amps down the road if you feel the need.
    Definitely check around for prices, but I think you could still get the SR 6200 from Whitby Audio for about $949.00, but that was an introductory price, so who knows how much longer that will last. As far as a subwoofer goes, Whitby Audio has some good subwoofers also, such as the the PSB Sub 6 and Sub 7, the Paradigm Servo 15 and PW-2200 etc.
    (NOTE I picked up a killer subwoofer this summer that was on sale for a crazy price. Email me and you can check to see if you can pick one up for a similar price (wasn't Whitby Audio, it was a fluke phone call I made somewhere else)but i can't promise it'll be selling for the same price now, but even if its close, you'll save at least 2 hundred dollars off most stores already below retail price).

7. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I have to ask you SR 6200 owners. So far, I am unimpressed with the S-video switching. I ran S-video from my SVHS vcr through the SR 6200 and there was a hashy kind of noise on the TV. Running the S-video directly into the TV was noticabley less noisy and far cleaner.
    Anybody else have these problems? Is it just my unit? What should I do? Return and exchange it? Or is what I see, basically what you get for all SR 6200's?
    If it is I will need another way to switch S-video.
    [Edited last by Chris PC on September 26, 2001 at 10:24 AM]

8. David_D_C

David_D_C Agent

I have an SR-5200 which I got at A&B sound in Edmonton for $725. It was listed at $799.
    Bass Management: I was pretty skeptical about the 100Hz crossover myself, but so far it seems to work very nice.
    S-Video switching: My original SR-5200 had the s-video problem. There were very noticable vertical lines so I took it back and we found a 5200 that didn't have the problem.
    So far other than the crap remote and the initial s-video problem, I love this receiver. Pro-logic II is so much better than I thought it would be.
    My system is as follows.
    SR-5200
    Mains: Paradigm Mini-Mk3 (set to large)
    CC: Paradigm CC-170 (set to small - wish I would have got a CC-370)
    Surrounds: Optimus Pro LX5 (the ones with the Linaeum tweeter)
    Sub: 15" Madisound in a 10 ft^3 box driven by a NAD T750