What's new

Marantz 5400 (1 Viewer)

RonFla

Grip
A local store here has that receiver since they're an authorized dealer. I want to upgrade from my yamaha rx-v520 and this seems like a nice reciever. The price is about $549 but the guy at the store said he come close to what accessories4less has a referb'd for which is $449. I looked at the receipt for the yamaha and see i paid $495 for in in 2002! I got it from a chain store and after seeing that it kind of p&(&ed me off. Honestly i get mad at myself for not taking the time like i am now. I'll let it go and also try to sell the yamaha. What do you guys think of the marantz? I'm upgrading in bits and pieces. Oh the store that has the marantz also has paradigms and definitive tech speakers. They sound better and match better than the klipsch 10.5 i have now.

Oh if i don't respond right away that's because i'm blocked at work. i'll try anonymizer. thanks for your help.

Blaine_M

Second Unit
I've got the 5400, it sounds awesome, I like it a lot. The only issue I had with it when I initially got it was that it got way way too hot, and yes, it was properly ventilated. I took it in to where I got it and the service department there adjusted some idle current thing and they said that a few of them were coming from the factory with that set too high. Anyway, it doesn't get so hot now. It has plenty of power and for the price, a lot of nice features. Mainly I got it for the sound quality though, which Marantz seems to me known for. I'm hoping to add a DVD-A/SACD player in a year or so.

RonFla

Grip
I heard good things about it too. Thanks for that info. I wonder how it compares to the NAD T743. I guess it doesn't matter since the NAD's are a little more expensive.

thanks again

RonFla

Grip
Thanks for the reply. I've also heard good things about the marantz that's why i'm considering it. I'll keep the heat issue in mind. I was also looking at the NAD T743 but it's a little bit more

Blaine_M

Second Unit
If you get one, it will run warm, it just shouldn't be so hot you can't put your hand on it! Mine still gets fairly warm now, but I can put my hand on it fine, when I first got it, it would get way too hot. I'd just make sure wherever you buy it from has a service department so they can adjust that if it needs to be adjusted, more than likely if you get one it will be fine, but a few run hot, like mine did.

Blaine_M

Second Unit
One interesting thing the Marantz has, which it sounds like most of the other's do not have, is a virtual 6.1 mode. What I like about it is that it seems to make the rear surrounds a little less directional. If I had bipolar speakers in my setup it might not matter, but I don't. The virtual 6.1 mode isn't a huge difference, but I do like it.

RonFla

Grip
i think we both have the same type setup. what about the price that i mentioned? is that in line do you think? I don't want to be fried again like i got with the yamaha

Blaine_M

Second Unit
Yeah, I actually paid retail for mine, which ended up being $599, but I traded in an old Marantz SR-580 and they gave me $175 for that, which is more than it was worth! Anyway, that price is good I think, well worth the money. I'm assuming you are talking US $.......

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Ron,

I think you are looking at a very nice receiver. S&V magazine tested the 4400 a few months back (Dec. 2003?) and it performed quite well in their tests. The power output was quite good as I recall.

Keep us updated.

RonFla

Grip
Yes i'm working in USD. I don't think i can get away with anything else in Fla. ;)

Wayne you referred to the 4400, did you mean the 5400? I will get this reciever soon but not now. I was about to sell my yamaha but then my pool sprung a leak so have to get that fixed. Out the door goes the money! I'll figure something out.

thanks guys

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Earl, yes it was a typo on my part. The January 2004 issue of Sound and Vision magazine did a review on the SR-5400 receiver. Some people that I know have the SR-4400 receiver and it's more than adequate to fill their theater area with lots of sound.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Earl, yes it was a typo on my part. The January 2004 issue of Sound and Vision magazine did a review on the SR-5400 receiver. Some people that I know have the SR-4400 receiver and it's more than adequate to fill their theater area with lots of sound.

RonFla

Grip
I get confused easily sometimes. You guys know way more than me so i want to make sure i'm not missing something. I'll tell you since i've been on these boards i learned so much. That's why tomorrow i'm returning a velo sub and getting the svs for about $100 more. If you aren't educated sometimes you leave yourself open. that's why i started this thread. also someone else may benefit from it.

RonFla

Grip
I get confused easily sometimes. You guys know way more than me so i want to make sure i'm not missing something. I'll tell you since i've been on these boards i learned so much. That's why tomorrow i'm returning a velo sub and getting the svs for about $100 more. If you aren't educated sometimes you leave yourself open. that's why i started this thread. also someone else may benefit from it.

Blaine_M

Second Unit
The 4400 is a nice unit for the money, but spend the extra cash and get the 5400, if nothing else for the adjustable sub crossover, the 4400 is locked at 100hz I believe, the 5400 has 3 options, 80, 100, and 120.

Blaine_M

Second Unit
The 4400 is a nice unit for the money, but spend the extra cash and get the 5400, if nothing else for the adjustable sub crossover, the 4400 is locked at 100hz I believe, the 5400 has 3 options, 80, 100, and 120.

RonFla

Grip
Well here's the latest. I was busy today. A few weeks ago i bought a velodyne dls-4000 sub from a chain store down here. i didn't like it since i paid $545 for it. I thought the SVS would be way ahead of it. Today i brought it back and went to the store that has the marantz. He also had a paradigm pw-2200 that he said he'd give me for $650 since it was on the floor. SOmeone ordered it then changed their mind. I go there today and ask him for a price on the marantz 5400. I get a price of $499. I say ok how much for the paradigm, i really wanted the svs. He says $550! I took both! I haven't set either up yet since i had to mow my lawn and i am now exhausted. THe sun here kills you! I looked at it this way also. I just built up a repoire with this guy since he did right by me. I do want to upgrade my mains also and he suggested the paradigm ref series 9. He said in october they will have a private sale. See why i did this? THe 5400 may not have enough power to truely drive the 9's but i can add a power amp onto it. I couldn't do that with the yamaha. I think i did good today. Now i need to get a rack also. I'm looking for good prices on them.

RonFla

Grip
Well here's the latest. I was busy today. A few weeks ago i bought a velodyne dls-4000 sub from a chain store down here. i didn't like it since i paid $545 for it. I thought the SVS would be way ahead of it. Today i brought it back and went to the store that has the marantz. He also had a paradigm pw-2200 that he said he'd give me for $650 since it was on the floor. SOmeone ordered it then changed their mind. I go there today and ask him for a price on the marantz 5400. I get a price of $499. I say ok how much for the paradigm, i really wanted the svs. He says $550! I took both! I haven't set either up yet since i had to mow my lawn and i am now exhausted. THe sun here kills you! I looked at it this way also. I just built up a repoire with this guy since he did right by me. I do want to upgrade my mains also and he suggested the paradigm ref series 9. He said in october they will have a private sale. See why i did this? THe 5400 may not have enough power to truely drive the 9's but i can add a power amp onto it. I couldn't do that with the yamaha. I think i did good today. Now i need to get a rack also. I'm looking for good prices on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks